New to Machine Guns and looking for some help

WaA509

I just moved to Utah which allows full auto so I’m looking to possibly get my first machine gun. I’d like to get something around the $15,000 mark or less like an MP40, PPSH41, or possibly a Sten but other than the marketplace on here and Gunbroker (with its super inflated prices), I dont know where to look. Am I off base on my budget for the guns I’m looking for or could I find something in that range if I look around?

Look at auctions where NFA is sold. One of two things may happen(sometimes both!):

1-people will bid astoundingly HIGH prices...who knows why!

2-Sometimes you can steal things,,,maybe a rival bidder went to the bathroom, was sick that day, forgot about it,,,whatever.

That, and network,network,network.

No sure about a "fish 41 for $15K,,,,they are a bit higher now.

Good luck!

Okrana

You’re in the ballpark for an Uzi as well.  If you do try junkbroker, set your max bid and forget it.  Don’t get sucked into a bidding war with an idiot.

I’ve found three of the four MGs that I have, here, on this site.  The fourth was a purchase from a friend.  This place is your best bet.

13 hours ago, WaA509 said:

I just moved to Utah which allows full auto so I’m looking to possibly get my first machine gun. I’d like to get something around the $15,000 mark or less like an MP40, PPSH41, or possibly a Sten but other than the marketplace on here and Gunbroker (with its super inflated prices), I dont know where to look. Am I off base on my budget for the guns I’m looking for or could I find something in that range if I look around?

That 15k budget isn’t enough for a mp40 an ppsh41 they all seem to be trading above that. I’d recommend you grab a m10 an a lage upper. You could get that for easy sub 15k shoot that for a few years an save up move money then trade the m10 +cash for what you really want in a little while… that way it at least gets your feet wet in the mg world you can enjoy a mg an still own one with out waiting longer to buy something at a higher price.

Either the BRP or the M10 with a Lage is great.   I think the BRP is superior if you're going to stick with pistol calibers and Brian is a hell of a nice guy.  If you want to be able to go to .223 then do the M10 as that Lage upper is ridiculously fun.

At 15 (more likely 16) you have a good chance of getting both a Tube Sten Mk2  gun and a Reising at that price (I’ve got both in my personal collection). 

Reisings are can be finicky but when they run, they run. 
https://youtube.com/shorts/-r-dmv3zcA4?si=Epf48MpejS19PDmY

Sten tube guns can be the same way if they were not built correctly. 
(Keep in mind up until the last 10-15 years they were tied as the cheapest transferable’s out there, so at 1,000-1,500 dollars for a virgin tube it didn’t matter to bubba using a dermal putting it together in his garage)

But almost everything wrong with it is fixable by a competent gunsmith that’s worked on sten’s before, and the caliber can be changed to 7.62x25.

All that being said, if your looking for modularity, at your price point Mac’s are the way to go. 

There's basically 2 directions to go when thinking about buying a machinegun.
One is the ability to fire in full automatic, which is the represented by the recommendations here to get a MAC or a BRP.
The other direction is collectability and historic/iconic use. And judging from the models you said you were looking for, I'm guessing that's the direction you are more interested in rather than just going pew pew pew as fast as possible.

• Like 1

I'd recommend a M11/9.  By itself, not a great gun, BUT it is now a modular platform that allows you to put different uppers, stocks, optics, etc. on it.  You can get several 9mm slow fire mag and drum fed uppers, and you can get a 5.56 upper.  I've got both and they are reliable and very fun to shoot.  One of the 9mm uppers allows different rates of fire to suit your preferences. 

You can buy the gun plus accessories, a couple of uppers and ammo today at your price point.  Later, you can expand and buy more uppers.  Having the flexibility to use the same platform for good 9mm and 5.56 (or 300BO cal - change the barrel) doesn't come again until you get into the M16 or HK sear platforms.  Both of those options start at ~2x the price of admission with the M11/9 option.  

I predict a beltfed upper for the M11 / Mac family will eventually come along.  The 9mm slow fire upper I have is an excellent shooter.  

You'll want to add suppressors at some point.  

Other options:

Sten - you can get a tube gun well within your price, maybe even a c&r actual wartime gun (top of your price point). If you want history, then this may be your choice. Different configurations are available including the MK5 (?) which has a wood stock. 

BRP ‐ possibly several configurations in your price point.  I've never shot one but have heard great reviews.  Drum options available.

AC556 - factory 5.56. Very fun to shoot.  Stainless, blued, full stock long barrel or shorty folding stock. Good. 22 kit (Ciener).  Lots of folks look down their nose at these since they're "not an M16". Well, they're not, and they're priced accordingly. 

Uzi - bolt or conversion. LOTS of spares available.  Iconic and easily recognized. Fun to shoot.  Can find .22 and .45 cal. conversion kits depending on gun you buy (how was it converted).  Stretching your budget - you may need to add some $$. 

MK760 - mags very easy to load. Faster rate of fire. Actually a fun gun to shoot.  Copy of the S&W76 (below).

SW76 - C&R, factory gun, good history (brief military + PD), good mags - may have to tweak readily available Suomi mags depending on gun). Fun to shoot.

Stemple - versions of the SW76 (including. 45 cal versions).

Reising ‐ C&R, military and PD history. Mags difficult to find today but anticipate that this will change. .45 cal.

Other Mac family guns + probably others that I'm not thinking about right now...

Go shoot some guns and find the flavor that appeals to you.  Some guys want the 5.56, while some like the 9mm (more places to shoot, less $$ to feed, suppress better, etc.).  Are you a shooter or a collector?  Some platforms do better in active shooting competitions.  Good luck!

• Like 2

Another route is dewats.  If you have the ability to work on firearms, you can buy historical military firearms at a discount. Get your C&R license for $30 for 3 years and have WWI & WWII weapons sent directly to your home. More of a hunt for the weapon and parts, but I enjoy all the challenges. If you are looking for investment, or quick sells, this may not be for you.  A percentage of buyers will not consider a rewatted weapon no matter how well it runs.  I own quite a few.

Brian 

Browning1917a1

I'll add my voice to the recommendations for the S&W 76 or clones, great shooting guns and there is even one on GB right now for $15K, its been there a long time with no takers so possibly a good chance to get it cheaper.  Suomi mags are cheap and easy to convert.  I just got one earlier this year after being in MG's since 1991, why did I wait so long?  The MAC choices are also good, I've just never preferred them myself, YMMV.  Have fun, the hunt is a big part of the enjoyment.  

The downside of the 76 and clones are no replacement parts or aftermarket support.  I suppose if all the owner intends to do is store it, that wouldn’t be an issue.  I don’t think the OP intends to store his purchase…what fun would that be?

As I posted earlier, save a little more and get an Uzi.  As others have suggested, get a MacLage (trailerpark Uzi).

Not sure if you are still looking, but Morphys has an auction coming up in December which has some NFA stuff, might be worth keeping an eye out on prices and availability.  FYI, just make sure to factor in buy fee's when bidding, they can surprise you.

Hurricane, UT ( pronounced properly !)- awesome. You are in God's country there. I spend 1 week /year x 20 yrs in nearby LaVerkin ( for zion canyoneering). Was out there just last month and if I had known I would have gladly stopped by for a machine gun chat.

Anyhoo.... $15k budget. Your best option IMO is a M11/9 with some spare money left over for accessories like a Lage, ammo, spare parts, etc.

Other mac versions are reasonable as well...M10/45 etc if that's your style.

If you want to stretch a bit...then an Uzi at the $17k'ish price range is a great choice.

$15k isn't enough for the M16/AR15 which would also be an excellent choice to enter mg land.

As far as how to buy one and where....This board here is prob your best bet. If this is your 1st mg purchase then I'd highly rec' hooking up with knowledgeable mg owning friend who can assist you in your hunt , purchase, and transfer process. If you have none ...then buying thru a dealer is prob best for you albeit a bit (20%) more expensive than buying directly from an individual. I buy from both. I personally am NOT a fan of g u n brooker auction style avenues. A few guns may be posted on snugbus but sturm here has a more active market. I'd pass on Morphys bc of your budget and the atrocious buyers premiums that add up to 20%+. 

The Mac family  is the clear choice for a 1st time buyer with your stated budget. The M11/9 is the most desired and versatile of the mac family. 

Welcome to the minority my friend. My first SMG was a Mac-10/45 with a Lage Mk2 suppressed. Bought it for $5500 back in late 2012. There are plenty of places to source MG’s from, including here. Make sure to vet the person out before agreeing to something, scams so happen unfortunately. I bought my Fleming sear/HK MP5k from Ruben (DealerNFA). You’ll pay more, but everything is good to go. Take your time and just ask. 

I bought a C&R STEN MKIII in 2021 for $8K and learned what I liked and didn’t like by using mine and going to clubs that allowed full autos and talking with people. I traded up to an MP40 in October 2022 and just got my approval stamp through for it a couple weeks ago. My two cents is find the best for your price range and you can always trade up later… you’ll have another wait, but it gets you into the door and your feet wet.