New M60 owner, ammo

flgunguy

Taking possession in late July. I know Aaron's website beltfeds will be a great resource. Having trouble finding lake city ammo under $1 a round. Was thinking about using magtech with m13 links that sgammo has? 

Won't be shooting much, just taking a friend out and then it'll be out away.

• Like 1

MagTech is great ammo in the M60. We have run a lot of it over the years... Surplus Portuguese, British, South African, Malaysian, and German ammo is all great in the M60 too.  Still comes up now and then at a decent price. 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Sales@BeltFeds.Com

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

58 minutes ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

MagTech is great ammo in the M60. We have run a lot of it over the years... Surplus Portuguese, British, South African, Malaysian, and German ammo is all great in the M60 too.  Still comes up now and then at a decent price. 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Sales@BeltFeds.Com

Thank you Aaron I'll keep an eye out for those. I see that Saltech Swiss stuff and figure that certainly the Swiss wouldn't make their ammo too hot right? Your website has been a great resource so far!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 11:54 AM, mattnh said:

The most important thing is absolutely no steel ammo.  Not even just one belt of it…

Some steel cased ammo like Tula will almost certainly result in separated cases and a stuck bolt.

10000% ^^^^

this happened to me the very first day I took possession of my M60.

Had to mill out the bolt to bust it all loose. Cost me $$$$.

NO STEEL in my transf. M60. evar again.

6 hours ago, rhouston8 said:

10000% ^^^^

this happened to me the very first day I took possession of my M60.

Had to mill out the bolt to bust it all loose. Cost me $$$$.

NO STEEL in my transf. M60. evar again.

Btw, it isn’t just steel ammo.  Some ammo just sucks in MGs.  We had a batch of brand new commercial •••ington brass ammo (green & white box stuff) that separated cases in both a 1919 and m60 right off the bat…  With mil spec ammo, you will likely avoid such quality fun and games…

• 10 months later...
On 6/29/2023 at 6:49 AM, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Sales@BeltFeds.Com

How does this British L2A2 run in the M60? 1988 head stamp. What’s the going rate for a 200 round linked can like this?

IMG_6028.thumb.jpeg.2d370409199468bfb7493629191fd90d.jpeg

IMG_6027.thumb.jpeg.057beada5c451cfb5e66d697465a04c9.jpeg

@tommyboy, that Radway green is awesome ammo. Runs phenomenally in the M60 …. I have maybe 1,000 rounds of it left and I don’t shoot. I just keep it back and shoot newer production stuff because it isn’t easy finding that Radway anymore…. But to answer your question, runs great in the M60.

Aaron 

1 hour ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

@tommyboy, that Radway green is awesome ammo. Runs phenomenally in the M60 …. I have maybe 1,000 rounds of it left and I don’t shoot. I just keep it back and shoot newer production stuff because it isn’t easy finding that Radway anymore…. But to answer your question, runs great in the M60.

Aaron 

Thanks Aaron. I have six or seven 200 round sealed cans. What do you think fair market value is on those?

Congratulations on tour acquisition of an M60.  I also have an M60 and would be glad to share some ammo with you since I need to make some space.  Send me a text and let me know where you are located since puck up is the only sensible to get it.  Give me a test at (860) 707-4146 if interested.

Agree with all said. Hand-linked LC was always my go-to, now impossible to find in any quantity or reasonable price.  The Magtech linked has worked better than expected in both the E6 and the E1,3,4 frankengun. Picked-up a few more cans from Talos T, at about the best current price. Saving the remaining LC..... I have used Maylay and R-G as well. Love the brown Radway cans, as they are narrower and don't need a filler for 7.62x51, but won't fit in my standard 1919A4 can-holder for the 1917A1 pintle. The Hirtburger was a bit underpowered in the pig, especially after a bit of running and gas-port fouling.  Keep your pig clean and well lubed, especially on the tower-bolt interface, always put a blank in the last round in the belt....and enjoy. Just a real joy to shoot......