How quiet is suppressed 5.56?

Dean

I finally got my custom upper done for my M16 and Omega 36.  I have shot lots of suppressed pistol caliber but never rifle.  I want to shoot at a friends property Sunday on 10 acres not so much in the country.  Is the noise enough for neighbors to know its gunshots?

Shooting suppressed 5.56 / .223 through a good silencer sounds like un-silenced .22 lr to me.  Uncomfortable without hearing protection.  

100% that neighbors will know exactly what you're doing.  Others may have different opinions. Just too much supersonic crack to mask...

• Like 1

Louder than a 9mm handgun without a suppressor. Totally not hearing safe.
The only thing a suppressor on a 5.56 firearm does is give you a "cool factor" at the range, or, if you have a good suppressor, mask the flash and tame the concussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the suppressor.. but I would say wear foam ear protection. Possibly safe in open outdoor areas. Indoors you'll possibly ring your ears.

I shoot suppress and it is so much more comfortable shooting. Plus having weight out front, it helps with muzzle rise. 

Neighbors hearing it. Depends how far away they are. If they do hear it, typically it is harder to pinpoint where your shooting from. You'll less likely get a complaint running suppressed over shooting unsuppressed.

Edited by Ryo

A dedicated.556 can will tone it down way more than a multi cal can. Best sounding can for a .556 will be the Serra 5 or something like the CAT which is way over priced and shitty warranty. 

On 3/12/2024 at 3:31 PM, Dean said:

I finally got my custom upper done for my M16 and Omega 36.  I have shot lots of suppressed pistol caliber but never rifle.  I want to shoot at a friends property Sunday on 10 acres not so much in the country.  Is the noise enough for neighbors to know its gunshots?

with a loud O36 can, yes it will be loud

On 3/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, Dean said:

I just tried fired it in my warehouse and it borders on needing ear protection.  No where near 9mm suppressed.  Good think it's a hybrid suppressor.

Shooting outdoors is paramount for suppressed 5.56 with not protection. Indoors with 9, is not hearing safe, forget 5.56. 
In my experience, shooting 5.56 out of a 10.5 M16 or out of the HK53 outdoors with a Gemtech patrolman and it’s hearing safe. 
sonic crack but still shooting without ears. YMMV