Machine gun Buyer has Trust but His drivers license is from another state. What do I do ?

Greasegunner

Hello All:

I have a SOT and received a gun to transfer. I have done only one form 4 in 10 years-

All my dealings are on Form3 with other dealers

Buyer has not gotten me prints or photos yet. 

He gave me a drivers license from another state. His trust is registered here in my state.I doubt I can use his prints and photos

What do I need to file the form 4?

If co trustees are in my state , i would think I need their prints and phototographs

Thanks in advance for any input

Thanks

Haris

Yes, You need to submit photo & prints with the responsible person questionnaire for EVERY responsible person (not just the person picking up the item).  If there are 10 responsible persons, then 10 RP forms each with photo & prints…

This should help you generate all the paperwork…

https://eform4.silencershop.com/

Edited by mattnh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The transfer goes to the state where the entity exists.  Where the RP resides is not relevant.  The RP does not need to be a state resident to take possession of NFA items, but to leave the state it will need a 5320.20.    You can use his prints and photos and no DL is needed until pickup and filling out the 4473 after the transfer is approved. 

• Like 1

You can thank Carl Marx disciple Nobama for all the extra paperwork. He initiated more “NFA Safety ACTS” AKA “Political Safety ACTS.” It’s like we’re criminals even going to submit anything to the government or Law Enforcement?? Can’t have any “Irresponsible” persons having access. Well you can be if your Hunter Biden with guns I guess…. 

On 9/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, mattnh said:

Yes, You need to submit photo & prints with the responsible person questionnaire for EVERY responsible person (not just the person picking up the item).  If there are 10 responsible persons, then 10 RP forms each with photo & prints…

This should help you generate all the paperwork…

https://eform4.silencershop.com/

for a MG pickup on a trust?

I've done this for 4473 where they had to provide a government issued utility bill to show they lived in state for the transfer... Not sure if that is the same for Form4s. 

Like everyone said.. You must get all documents filled out for other people on the trust. 

Has anyone seen a one shot trust? I've heard about those but none of my customers have ever used it. Curious how they worded it 

21 hours ago, mattnh said:

When transferee is a Trust (trust is getting the item), the F4 submission to the ATF (of any NFA item) requires a complete RP questionnaire for EVERY named RP (not just the RP picking it up).

i get that, but we are not taking about the form,  and no one does that anyway so it moot

On 9/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, Greasegunner said:

Hello All:

I have a SOT and received a gun to transfer. I have done only one form 4 in 10 years-

All my dealings are on Form3 with other dealers

Buyer has not gotten me prints or photos yet. 

He gave me a drivers license from another state. His trust is registered here in my state.I doubt I can use his prints and photos

What do I need to file the form 4?

If co trustees are in my state , i would think I need their prints and phototographs

Thanks in advance for any input

Thanks

Haris

you need alt id from him to establish residency, or just get a instate rp.

if neither, then he needs to add a trustee.

17 hours ago, Ryo said:

I've done this for 4473 where they had to provide a government issued utility bill to show they lived in state for the transfer... Not sure if that is the same for Form4s. 

Like everyone said.. You must get all documents filled out for other people on the trust. 

Has anyone seen a one shot trust? I've heard about those but none of my customers have ever used it. Curious how they worded it 

basically 2 different actions, filing a form 4 and picking up.  only the latter (4473) is a concern.

the form 4 is a trust so only the RPs listed on the trust can pick up.

the form 4 can have anyone on it, but for the 4473 a listed rp must pick it up

Ive done a tone of oneshots, only rps can pick it up and on the one shot 99 percent of the  time its just a settlor/grantor and the after pickup people add trustees to the trust so as to share items

5 hours ago, Greasegunner said:

Taylorwso

Trust is in ARkansas

Resp Party Nevada Resident and only the one on the trust 

I think transferring to him on 4473 violates federal law 

Correct?

Well you can buy a rifle and shotgun in any state regardless of what the id says… if he’s trust is in your state your transferring to the trust that is set up in your state… your transferring it to the trust not to him… if he leaves the state he’d be in violation possibly but I don’t think you’d violated any law. I could be completely wrong I guess… but the trust is in your state as far as I’m concerned the trust is the owner. I think you’d be okay honestly.

5 hours ago, Thumpy said:

Well you can buy a rifle and shotgun in any state regardless of what the id says

Not entirely true. An FFL holder must comply with the laws of the state that he is licensed in, plus the laws of the buyers home state. Sometimes that is not possible. Such as, I'm in Alaska, where we don't have any state restrictions for sales, but if my buyer is from a state that runs their own background checks, or has a state mandated waiting period, or some other convoluted state hoo-hah, then it's not possible for me to do that. The buyer is "out of luck" in that case, regardless if it is a long gun. Military service members that are PCS to the state are viewed as defacto residents and get a pass, regardless of their home state.

17 hours ago, Greasegunner said:

Taylorwso

Trust is in ARkansas

Correct?

You're not transferring on a 4473, you're only gathering the information on the RP that was not filled out on a form 4 for the trust that is the actual owner (all the questions, ID, and a signature testifying to how you answered the questions).  There is no NICS check because the RP has already had a BC via NFA branch including prints, so the 4473 info never gets called in.  You're not transferring to an out of state person, the person is moving to the state as an overseer of the trust and cannot move the item out of the state without the trust filling out a 5320.20, because while he may be in control of the item, it's not his. 

9 hours ago, GUNBUGS said:

Not entirely true. An FFL holder must comply with the laws of the state that he is licensed in, plus the laws of the buyers home state. Sometimes that is not possible. Such as, I'm in Alaska, where we don't have any state restrictions for sales, but if my buyer is from a state that runs their own background checks, or has a state mandated waiting period, or some other convoluted state hoo-hah, then it's not possible for me to do that. The buyer is "out of luck" in that case, regardless if it is a long gun. Military service members that are PCS to the state are viewed as defacto residents and get a pass, regardless of their home state.

Interesting stuff here… but the trust would act as the owner wouldn’t it?

23 hours ago, Greasegunner said:

Taylorwso

Trust is in ARkansas

Correct?

As far as the rules for nfa items, yes it must be rp and it must be in the state. I'm not a lawyer but I would only do it that way.  I know you can transfer longarms to non residents but I rember reading the atf ruling/faq about trust and it can only go to a perosn on the trust.

I would just have the dude add a person, have them pick it up. Just get a copy of the trust and the notarized addition