Favorite AK caliber?

johnson184

What's yall's favorite AK caliber to shoot full auto? Currently have a Chinese Polytech in 223/556, but I don't think the full auto conversion was done well as I get a couple jams in a magazine. Tempted to get it sent off to get fixed and modified to take Bulgarian Circle 10 556 magazines. Other option would be to change it to 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. 

I also think I'll be cutting the barrel down to 12.5" and running a KNS adjustable gas piston so I can suppress it. I already own a Colt M16A1. 

I keep debating positives/negatives for all 3 calibers. 

223/556 - I get my pick of premium or just steel range ammo without worrying too much about ammo availability. Cons would be hard to find any spare parts or magazines.

5.45 - Plenty of steel mediocre range ammo available now. Seems the Russians prefer shooting this over anything else. Cons would be that the best quality ammo isn't imported here and that ammo's currently available online but may be hard to find in the future.

7.62 - Plenty of ammo available online and sometimes in stores at a much higher price. Russians still field this caliber. Good barrier penetration for blasting random targets/objects. 7.62x39 also performs well out of a 12.5" barrel. Cons would be that it seems most people I've asked already aren't a fan of it in full auto. 

I shot 7.62x39 in full auto on my RR.  Definitely not brutal. Controllability/accuracy might be more tricky.

I've fired 7.62x54 and that has more of a kick and that isn't brutal either. I have to really push more forward on the SCAR to keep it more in control while standing. It was sure was fun shooting a SCAR 17 FA.

If I were to build, I'd just do the 7.62x39 due to availability of ammunition.

• Like 1

Not to belabor the “brutal” point or derail the conversation, but..

When I think “brutal” a few things come to mind:

HK51/51K FA - It’s not the kick, the concussion…  Best be wearing earplugs  & muffs

The DShK rocks my “brutal” boat as well, yowzers!

Matt

I'd leave it alone (but get it running well).   I have a 7.62 folder and don't mind it, but it's not a gun I have much interest in shooting.  It was kind of a one and done thing with a drum or two and that's it.  Not particularly exiting, nor accurate, nor accessory friendly, so it  sits.  I wouldn't spend a nickel on a Krink, I'd sooner shoot my HK51 if given a choice cause really all you're going to do is make noise with either one, so you may as well go big.

Market wise the .223 and 7.62x39 would be the best bet.  I've had Hornady steel case 5.45 for sale for a while with no interest?  Tells me 5.45 guns are not popular.