M16 Lower Refinishing

Mike_O

I recently contacted Victor at US Anodizing about refinishing my transferable M16 lower.  The top of the receiver is too high so uppers fit way too tight, and I'd like to have the finish repaired.  Long story short, and not wanting to post anyone's personal business online, Victor is not taking any work at all right now, and I'm sure that it'll be quite a while before he does again.

Please give me any guidance based on personal experience with anyone else that does similar work to US Anodizing on transferable lowers.

Before he retired, M60 Joe posted the name of a gunsmith that he recommended using in his stead. I thought I had it saved somewhere but cannot find it. Maybe someone else knows who it is.

Im guessing you have an Olympic Arms SGW receiver. Many of those were out of spec and quite a few left the factory with "fitted" uppers so no one was the wiser. However, they will not accept standard milspec uppers without fussing and fighting.

The proper term for the repair is "decking". The cut on the top deck is not square and the front end is high. As the upper is closed it starts to bind at the front and won't allow the rear pin to be pushed through. Most people "fixed" this by hogging out the hole on the upper until the pin would go through.

Anyway, there are some smith's out there that are capable of doing the work. I just don't know exactly who to recommend cutting on a 20K lower. 

Yeah it's a Frankford/Olympic. I have no interest in modifying all of my uppers that fit my other lowers perfectly, this lower is out of spec. I do understand exactly what's wrong with it, and I could fixture it in a machine and fix it myself, but I also want it refinished and I can't do that myself, plus I'm hoping to have this done before my form 4 is approved, so right now I can't take possession of it to fix it myself anyways.

Gary's Bunker replied to me tonight and sounds good to go, plus he and my FFL can work out getting it done while I'm waiting on my form 4.  I just need to ask a few more questions and then it's probably the route I'll take. I'm just hoping to hear from anyone who's had a good experience with him.

2 hours ago, MPFiveO said:

Before he retired, M60 Joe posted the name of a gunsmith that he recommended using in his stead. I thought I had it saved somewhere but cannot find it. Maybe someone else knows who it is.

Im guessing you have an Olympic Arms SGW receiver. Many of those were out of spec and quite a few left the factory with "fitted" uppers so no one was the wiser. However, they will not accept standard milspec uppers without fussing and fighting.

The proper term for the repair is "decking". The cut on the top deck is not square and the front end is high. As the upper is closed it starts to bind at the front and won't allow the rear pin to be pushed through. Most people "fixed" this by hogging out the hole on the upper until the pin would go through.

Anyway, there are some smith's out there that are capable of doing the work. I just don't know exactly who to recommend cutting on a 20K lower. 

|It was Gary Bunker

• Thanks 1

I had some work done by Gary's bunker (converting my AR57 semi-bolt to full auto) and he did great work and was a pleasure to deal with. He had never done it before and it was clear from talking to him that he is a very competent and professional machinist and business person. The end product looks and works fantastic. I too have some anodizing to do and will certainly use Gary. 

Edited by Bd_p98

• 4 weeks later...

Since someone mentioned their experience with him.. He seems pretty honest. He recommended not doing a job that I had requested from him (Changing a large pin to a small pin) due to it being expensive. He said if I ever needed to have my SP1 repaired then adding a job like that might be worth it, but alone it would be expensive. He showed me some photos of his work and they looked good.

• Like 1