Post-86 MG’s and LE Demo Letters?

MP5

Does ATF/NFA Div “recognize” (honor for transfer purposes) LE Demo letters for somewhat modern SMGs and MGs? I’m specifically referring to guns like the HK MP5, HK53, HK33, Colt 9mm SMG, Uzi 9mm SMG (“modern”-ish commercial models), Steyr MPi-81, etc. Any info or personal experiences relating to transfer attempts with these sorts of guns is appreciated.   

Law letters at this point are up in the air as to what will and will not be approved. Thanks to people playing the system and trying to get personal play toys, ATF is cracking down hard on them. The MP5, Uzi, and Colt SMG should go through without an issue but the Steyr, HK33 and HK53 might be a bit of a stretch as HK and Steyr arent manufacturing them anymore and they aren’t a commonly fielded weapon. 

I wonder how they would handle something with a unique model name. 

Say (as an 07/02) I manufacture  miniguns, but on paper it's just called a "model 2" or something generic like that. I can give it any name I want, I don't have to stick to a military designation or the original designer's name. So the local PD just submits a demo letter to whatever dealer asking for a "SGT Fish MFG Model 2" and the ATF has no clue if it's a 762 Armalite style gun or an 50rds/second minigun. 

It’s going to have the information on the Form 2 and once it goes into “pending research” you’d be getting asked for more details as to what it is and such. 

Wont work like that, not going to be open ended and leave things to question like that. Besides you try to play games like that….they will play games back and I’d lay money that..you’d lose. 

3 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

It’s going to have the information on the Form 2 and once it goes into “pending research” you’d be getting asked for more details as to what it is and such. 

Wont work like that, not going to be open ended and leave things to question like that. Besides you try to play games like that….they will play games back and I’d lay money that..you’d lose. 

Yeah I wouldn't condone doing so. Just a "what if" thought experiment. 

But none of my form 2s specify that much, though I could see the examiner reaching out for more info. 

I’d had them reach out asking for specifics before when tho it was a variation of an MP5.

I have a feeling that at some point in the future, and maybe not all that far off, even form 2’s are going to see closer inspection based on what the items are.  Guys making post sample WWII MG’s and such, or especially belt fed weapons, are going to see more questions that’ll basically be “are you actually marketing these types of items, or is this a play toy?” Much of this stuff anymore is for people to play with as they want “cheap machine guns” or “range rentals”

Nothing on this for fact, just a sneaking suspicion of what’s might come. 

7 hours ago, Ryo said:

They haven't ask for photos nor details of Form 2 builds I've done.. Some are recent. 

Same. But I think they are saying it's becoming more common for form 3 MG transfers on demo letters.

They can't really disapprove a form 2 AFAIK. But I could see them asking for pics to add to their records