FNC Bolts - NOW Accepting Pre-Orders!!!

Navgunner

I've officially kicked off the engineering side of domestic FN FNC bolt manufacture.  Just like the S&W 76 extractors that I made; I'm needed your help gaging interest to determine how many to produce.  I estimate these to sell for $650 each.  Based on that little bit of information I plan only producing just enough bolts to meet demand, with priority being given to those willing to place pre-orders which won't start until we have a qualified production-intent first article sample done and fully tested (November timeframe).

PM me if you are interested.  No formal commitment at this point.  

February 21st ,2024 UPDATE:

It's official, I'm now taking preorders for domestically manufactured FN FNC bolts!!  Pre-orders will last ~70 days then I'm submitting my production order.  Individuals that have their deposits PAID before May 1st, 2024, are guaranteed delivery and initial pricing.  Afterwards, on-hand sock will be very limited and sold at a "first come, first served" basis (at a higher cost too).  Please be aware that production will take upwards of 16-weeks but I'm personally guaranteeing your deposits.    

I will do my very best to reach out to individuals that have already expressed interest but please don't wait for me.  If you want to be included, then please be proactive.  

The pricing came in lower than I expected.  Pre-order cost is $450 (each set) for what's described in the "What's included" list below.  Deposits are a minimum of half upfront payment.  PM me on how to submit your payment.    

What's included (one each):

p/n: 442; Extractor Spring

p/n: 444; Extractor Retaining Spring

p/n: 445; Pin, Extractor, Inner

p/n: 446; Bolt

3D printed bench-block for extractor installation.

What's missing (contact member @fuatos):

p/n: 441; Extractor

p/n: 443; Extractor Spring Guide

Additional information:  Please read the entire thread above to best understand what you're getting!  Headspace will be required (by a qualified gunsmith) which may include a barrel replacement!!  If you don't understand what this entails, then please pass.  This is serious and could lead to damage to life and property!

*Cross posted on UT.

Edited by Navgunner
ready to go into the preorder phase
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please find below my most recent post on UziTalk. I’m cross posting it here as it should explain a little bit of my thought-process/motivation and provide a bit of an update too. 

Thank you very much to all of you who have expressed interest via PMs!  This helps me a ton because I really need to get enough interest to justify kicking-off production which is 40+ bolts.

Regardless, I’ve already invested in model files and drawings. So if I don’t get enough interest just yet, we can reassess at a later date.

My “knowns”:
There’s NOT a one-size-fits-all bolt; period. However, most (if not all) of the FNCs that were imported into the US prior to the ban can be made to function to factory standards with a new bolt like the one that I’m making (a mirror copy of my factory bolt).

Changing your bolt will absolutely require a headspace check and it’s more than highly likely that your gun will require a headspace adjustment by a gunsmith who’s well versed in the FNC rifle. Heck… you’ll probably need a new barrel installed but that’s ok. I’m not making these bolts to be used in some sort if rotation, but rather as an alternative if truly needed, where more than likely the original bolt failed or is outright missing. Insurance if you will. As of today, there are an estimated 6,500 FNC’s here in the United States and based on direct conversations that personally I’ve had with the people in the know, there are about 3,600 versions that are transferable with the average MG FNC hovering around the $20,000 mark. Let’s be real honest with one another… If we’re going to keep these things going for generations to come, we’re gonna have to get creative and find a solution for spare parts. I’m just acting on it by literally putting my tens of thousands of dollars towards the effort with absolutely no guarantee of any return on investment.

For those living outside the US, I can’t export these things even if I wanted to, so I’m not factoring your rifles or other variants into my equation. I’m only focusing on those 3,600 individuals here fortunate enough to own a transferable FNC. Of those very few people I’m guessing that just a few percent will actually want one of these things but that’s OK because they’ll exist as an opportunity to feel more comfortable about shooting your guns knowing that there’s at least one option out there if something were to go wrong.

Below is a project update (part of this is an excerpt from a PM that I wrote to a Sturm member):

I've already sent out my bolt for 3D scanning which should be done in 4-6 weeks, prints will get their initial tolerancing shortly thereafter.

Once all the above is complete, I can start producing/refining (iterative process) the first article samples until I get a version that's appropriate for production. If all of this goes well, and there's at least enough demand to sell an initial production run of 40+ units then I'll kickoff sales.

Unfortunately, there's still a lot that can postpone or even kill the project so... fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, Navgunner said:

Please find below my most recent post on UziTalk. I’m cross posting it here as it should explain a little bit of my thought-process/motivation and provide a bit of an update too. 

Thank you very much to all of you who have expressed interest via PMs!  This helps me a ton because I really need to get enough interest to justify kicking-off production which is 40+ bolts.

Regardless, I’ve already invested in model files and drawings. So if I don’t get enough interest just yet, we can reassess at a later date.

My “knowns”:
There’s NOT a one-size-fits-all bolt; period. However, most (if not all) of the FNCs that were imported into the US prior to the ban can be made to function to factory standards with a new bolt like the one that I’m making (a mirror copy of my factory bolt).

Changing your bolt will absolutely require a headspace check and it’s more than highly likely that your gun will require a headspace adjustment by a gunsmith who’s well versed in the FNC rifle. Heck… you’ll probably need a new barrel installed but that’s ok. I’m not making these bolts to be used in some sort if rotation, but rather as an alternative if truly needed, where more than likely the original bolt failed or is outright missing. Insurance if you will. As of today, there are an estimated 6,500 FNC’s here in the United States and based on direct conversations that personally I’ve had with the people in the know, there are about 3,600 versions that are transferable with the average MG FNC hovering around the $20,000 mark. Let’s be real honest with one another… If we’re going to keep these things going for generations to come, we’re gonna have to get creative and find a solution for spare parts. I’m just acting on it by literally putting my tens of thousands of dollars towards the effort with absolutely no guarantee of any return on investment.

For those living outside the US, I can’t export these things even if I wanted to, so I’m not factoring your rifles or other variants into my equation. I’m only focusing on those 3,600 individuals here fortunate enough to own a transferable FNC. Of those very few people I’m guessing that just a few percent will actually want one of these things but that’s OK because they’ll exist as an opportunity to feel more comfortable about shooting your guns knowing that there’s at least one option out there if something were to go wrong.

Below is a project update (part of this is an excerpt from a PM that I wrote to a Sturm member):

I've already sent out my bolt for 3D scanning which should be done in 4-6 weeks, prints will get their initial tolerancing shortly thereafter.

Once all the above is complete, I can start producing/refining (iterative process) the first article samples until I get a version that's appropriate for production. If all of this goes well, and there's at least enough demand to sell an initial production run of 40+ units then I'll kickoff sales.

Unfortunately, there's still a lot that can postpone or even kill the project so... fingers crossed.

Nav I want to applaud you for this project, however I do want to note, FNC rifles will start becoming C&R within the next 5 years.

I have no idea if they continued making the same semi auto only rifles for law enforcement around the world (not MG’s with their full auto parts removed). 
But if they did those rifles will be importable in the coming years once they cross C&R status.

The importability sporting clause doesn’t apply to C&R rifles.

-Mathew

2 hours ago, duza9999 said:

Nav I want to applaud you for this project, however I do want to note, FNC rifles will start becoming C&R within the next 5 years.

I have no idea if they continued making the same semi auto only rifles for law enforcement around the world (not MG’s with their full auto parts removed). 
But if they did those rifles will be importable in the coming years once they cross C&R status.

The importability sporting clause doesn’t apply to C&R rifles.

-Mathew

@duza9999, thank you so much for sharing!  There's a lot that goes into this stuff, so I'll take all of the advice that's offered.  

I need your help, please explain how having a Type 03 – Collector of Curios and Relics license will make getting replacement parts for the FNC easier?  Full disclosure, I'm not a C&R holder.  I don't believe that the removal of the importability restriction with respect to the sporting clause for C&R firearms helps us.  It's exciting to think that a C&R holders could get a fresh SA variant of the FNC imported here into the USA but unfortunately, no one really knows just how many of those SAs were made globally (my bet is very, very few as defined by our NFA). 

Previously, my thought (hope really) was that foreign MGs could be demilled to US standards (since they're still prohibited under the GCA & FOPA) and then imported into the US as parts kits.  I'm actually very surprised that it hasn't happened yet since Indonesia and Belgium both abandoning their production of the FNC back in the early to mid 2000s.  Now with 20 years passing and Belgium recently sending much of their FNC surplus to Ukraine as military aid, US citizens may never see parts kits. 

I think that FNC owners have waited long enough for spare bolts and the stigma of the FNC being a lower-class transferable MG since replacement parts are "unobtanium" (especially critical components like the bolt) needs to end. 

Hopefully our community supports my efforts and that this project gains enough steam to warrant at least one production run.  Regardless, I'm making at least one for myself since I'm already investing in the engineering work.  

Edited by Navgunner

Strum,

As it stands, my plan is to kickoff production with just 50 units and then wait to see where things go before I start another run.  Regardless, I don't anticipate doing more than two total runs (150 -350 units total).  Please be aware that my final order volume will depend completely on how much interest I receive from our community (I'm not stocking these). 

My goal is to start collecting pre-orders sometime in October and then have bolts ready for delivery to customers in December.  Customers that pre-order (paid) will receive a to-be-determined discount of somewhere between 10%-15% off.  I'll know more as I get the engineering / manufacturing costs tallied up for final pricing.  My estimate is still in the $500-$650 per bolt range.  

As of now, it looks like these bolts may have to come stripped (w/o extractors). I’m still trying to locate enough extractor sets to offer them complete but sourcing 50 to 100+ sets is posing a real challenge.  So... if anyone can assist me with a bulk order, I'd be very appreciative.  Remember, these extractors are the same ones that are currently being used in FN's M249 (there are two versions, either works).  I already have a source for the retainer pins, so we'll just need the extractor, spring, and spring guide pin.  

Here's some of the latest information that I've listed in UT:

If I can't secure enough extractors and end up having to sell these bolts stripped than the sales price will reflect it (closer to the $500).

1. I received a heartbreaking PM yesterday evening from a gentleman who experienced a broken bolt on his FNC. He is a perfect example of why I'm trying to get these bolts produced.
2. Despite that I've already sunk a ton of money and time into this project, we're not out of the weeds just yet. These are complex parts and there's still a lot of work yet to be done. That's why I'm waiting to take pre-orders.

3. Anyone who's expressed interest will have a guaranteed spot for pre-orders (Oct.-Nov. time frame) provided those individuals gave me a PM with their contact information.

I do plan to manufacture some quantity of additional bolts based on interest, but not so many that I take unnecessary additional risk.

Very Respectfully, -Nav

• 3 weeks later...

Update: CAD model is done!  Now onto prototyping.  We're still tracking to start accepting preorders by late October - early November with bolt deliveries before Christmas.  

If anyone wants to be on the preorder list, please send me a PM asap (if you haven't already).  At a minimum, I'll need your phone number and email address.   

2023-09-25_15-33-04.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I've been able to source a small number of springs (442) and retaining pins (444 & 445) so the first fifty bolts (446) produced will include these parts. 

Unfortunately, it looks like the buyers may have to locate their own extractors (441) and spring-guides (443).  They're available but expensive so I can't justify floating the additional cost to include them.    

image.png.632f7600daef98e6cb4b87631e2dff5a.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I have a couple of weeks left to go for engineering verification then I'll get these put in queue for machine time. The FNC bolts really need a 5-axis CNC to be done efficiently so for now that's my limiting factor. All of my usual contacts are already running on all cylinders to keep up with their regular business so we’re going to have to be patient. After manufacture, the bolts will need secondary processes in addition to the machining (like heat treat).

I will say that my confidence in this project has gone up significantly but of course there's still lots yet to do. Pre-order requests have gone up too (~40 so far) so that's no longer a concern of mine. Of course, I’ll just have to wait and see who's actually willing to commit with their payment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, okrana said:

Question from an Ignoramous: Can these parts be obtained and imported from either Belgium or Indonesia (assuming their version is same as FN version of the FNC)?

Okrana

@okrana There's a lot to unpack with your question but the short answer is no.  Unfortunately, there won't be any bolts, bolt carrier/piston assemblies, receivers, or even gas blocks exported from these countries.  A great reference for all of this information can be found via the FNC forums on UziTalk.com (Sturm affiliate).

Most all other spare parts for the FN FNC can be found here in the US through one of my resources but expect to pay a premium because of scarcity.  PM me if interested.  Note that at this time, I'm only doing FNC bolts and that these other parts are not mine, I'm only offering to facilitate a connection.  

35 minutes ago, SGT Fish said:

Have you checked with JP at Karma Metal Products (KMP)? He said recently they were taking jobs and has experience/licensing doing gun parts.  

@SGT Fish Thank you for the recommendation!  At this time, I'm trying to keep this work within my already established network.  Also, on KMP's website they don't list 5 axis CNC capabilities.    

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Thank you to everyone who's shown interest in this project!  As it stands, these bolts are scheduled to go into production sometime in December but that could be delayed if higher priority job bumps me. I'll continue keeping everyone posted as soon as my manufacturing team firms up a start date because that's when I'll start collecting money for pre-orders.  As previously stated, individuals that pre-order (paid) will get a discount and guarantee that they'll receive a bolt.  for others, I will make a small over-run but those will sell at a premium cost.   

• Navgunner changed the title to FNC Bolts - NOW Accepting Pre-Orders!!!
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who's supported this project through pre-sales.  I've been pleasantly surprised to see that most of the individuals who initially expressed their interest have already committed to pre-orders via their deposits.  For me, this is definitely a labor of love in service to the community that I'm so proud to be a part of.    

Very Respectfully, 

Navgunner  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Easter!  Only 30 days left for preorders (window closes May 1st).

Sturm community, I’ve received more orders between this board and UziTalk than I expected which overwhelms me with thanks.  I appreciate the support!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

There's only three weeks left until pre-orders close.  Please be aware that your deposits are due to me no later than May 1st because that's the date that I'm placing my production order with my manufacturing partner.  I will not accept any additional preorders past this date.  Please account for the time that it takes the US postal service to deliver mail because I can't provide any allowance for snail mail.  

Thank you to everyone who's supported and/or participated in this project!!

V/R,  navgunner