Chauchat shooting tips, now troubleshooting

NickFromAK

I finally was able to take possession of a Chauchat, and I haven’t taken it to the range yet. Are there any tips, tricks, or bits of useful knowledge that I should know that aren’t readily apparent before I shoot it?

Edited by NickFromAK

Lots of tips and info in the book.  It's a John Browning "long recoil" design....takes a "long time" to get a round out compared with all other MG's so it takes some getting used to.

Most of the guns here have been butchered up to the point of not running reliably, so there's that, but they are all generally fixable and were very reliable back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally took it out over two separate occasions and I’m suffering from failure to feed and failure to extract. The magazine isn’t tilting the cartridge up enough to make it onto the feed lips and the barrel keeps locking to the rear and getting caught on the case. This gun is going to give my problem solving skills and non existent gunsmithing skills a run for their money.

• NickFromAK changed the title to Chauchat shooting tips, now troubleshooting

Did you try a different magazine?  Also, try loading only 2 or three rounds to see if the magazine is feeding correctly.  If you have some dummy rounds, you an try manually cycling them to see where the issue is.  This will sounds strange, but don't use the charging handle to manually cycle the gun.  Use a long cleaning rod from the muzzle and force the barrel and bolt to cycle like it would when shooting.  If you can get a buddy to man the cleaning rod, you can watch to see where the problem occurs.

The most common cause of extracting issues is a dirty or rough chamber.  Second is a weak extractor.

I second the use of the PPU ammo.  Once I solved my magazine problems, the PPU ammo has been flawless.

If you can get a copy of "Honour Bound: Chauchat Machine Rifle", you will find a wealth of information.  When I manage to get to the range with my Chauchat, it attracts more attention than my buddy's MP5.  And my answer to the 'know-it-alls' who inevitably chime in with that old 'world's worst machine gun' phrase is; "OK, name one automatic rifle prior to October 1918 that was better".  Sure, the gun had it's issues.  But, it was cheap enough to field in huge numbers, reasonably effective, and available.  And you don't so much 'shoot' a Chauchat as 'ride' it!

• Like 2

I’m currently stuck with my only magazine. It isn’t canted upward enough for the nose tips to make it past the feed lips. I noticed my PPU extracted well but my N balle surplus didn’t. Which is cool because my PPU doesn’t feed as well as the N Balle, which fails to extract. I have an N barrel and receiver.

https://www.1919a4.com/threads/chauchat-failure-to-feed-issues.103237/#post-688195

Failure to feed thread on 191a4 site.

there is a lip on the bolt face which someone had problem with using PPU ammo so they smoothed it out, I did not have this problem.

also look for dents on your magazine lips

see mark novak YouTube for correct orientation of round in mag for correct presentation of round to feed up the ramp and what causes dents in the mag feed lips, should be a link to it above

The two screws on left side of frame are not there to be tightened.  They are indented and are used to adjust feed ramp so with correct round presentation from magazine the round will feed up the ramp.  The 2 screws adjust how the feed ramp moves up and down.  The only way I found to adjust is use a blank round and slowly feed a round off the mag and and watch how it goes up the ramp, then adjust screws accordingly.  See mark Novak YouTube video for a better explanation.

Also mine needs bolt locked open before I insert mag, otherwise first round will not feed.

Also insert Ppu ammo into chamber manually to make sure it freely chambers all the way in, on mine WWII ammo would not freely chamber all the way but PPU ammo did.  See thread from above.

Edited by waterdawg2000

On 9/6/2023 at 12:38 PM, waterdawg2000 said:

The two screws on left side of frame are not there to be tightened.  They are indented and are used to adjust feed ramp so with correct round presentation from magazine the round will feed up the ramp.  The 2 screws adjust how the feed ramp moves up and down.  The only way I found to adjust is use a blank round and slowly feed a round off the mag and and watch how it goes up the ramp, then adjust screws accordingly.  See mark Novak YouTube video for a better explanation.

Also mine needs bolt locked open before I insert mag, otherwise first round will not feed.

Also insert Ppu ammo into chamber manually to make sure it freely chambers all the way in, on mine WWII ammo would not freely chamber all the way but PPU ammo did.  See thread from above.

Adjusting those two screws  was the most important thing to get my Chauchat running reliably. Once that was done, I could do mag dumps with no problems. 

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/Chauchat drill-combat-mechanism manual.pdf

link to Chauchat manual on Forgotten weapons website.

I need the selector switch pin, mine has 2 flat sides instead of 3 like on page 62 of this manual.  My auto works but not the safety or semi, although I would never trust a safety on an open bolt gun, any jolt can release the sear.

For some reason I can not post pics today?

Edited by waterdawg2000

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, browning1917a1 said:

The bottom receiver has the serial number that is on both my Chauchats form 4's along with the manufacturer's name.

Browning1917a1

Brian 

Serial # on the lower assembly only is what I've seen also...which is why I'm curious.

• 2 months later...

The gun is now feeding perfectly, but I’m still suffering from brass getting stuck in the chamber and not letting the barrel release forward. Essentially the gun fires, both the bolt and barrel move back, the barrel only moves 1/4” back forward. I believe the chamber may be imposing too much friction on the case somehow, but I’ve thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed it. The gun is also well lubed. It’s a N stamp barrel too.

Maybe extractor is sticking or weak extractor spring maybe, but except for a gunsmith I do not know how to fix that?  Maybe try Bob Naess, he fixes Chauchat’s.  Link to his web page here:

http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com

or maybe disassemble and clean inside of receiver,  I cleaned mine up because of too much drag on barrel and extension with red 3M cleaning pads.  Or disassemble and try putting a cartridge into chamber by hand, that is how I found I was using the wrong cartridge.  Mine will not accept WWII ammo only the Serbian ammo made in 8mm lebel.  Even the hand loads that came with the gun would not chamber unless the bolt slammed it into chamber. 

Edited by waterdawg2000
Additionally info

My unfired PPU cartridges fit like a glove when unfired. But it’s about a 75-25 for sticking and non sticking when fired. I hope it a just an over annealed case. If I get get it fixed, then I’ll reach out to Bob. I haven’t heard of him, so that is very much appreciated!