shipping machine guns in 2023

dw1

Good morning all,

I need advice.

I have an old machine guns (total current market value ~$60,000.00) in need of repairs, wanting to ship to Mr. Andrewski.  I was advised by UPS and FedEx  mid level managers, that they will not ship.  If I ship via these carriers,  its against the new law; further more, if found it is confiscated.  In addition, if lost its not insurable.

What is recommended and how to insure it for send/return trip.

Thank you 

Hi dw1,

If the MG's have a 16" or better barrel length, USPS regulations allow you to ship to an FFL (even if you don't have an FFL).  It appears that USPS cares if it is "concealable" or "non-concealable".  This is per 431.4 Rifles and Shotguns  from their definitions.  I commonly use USPS Registered and Insured.  Some MG's are easy to fit with a long barrel (M16, Uzi, Sten, K, M31) as they commonly have long barrels available).  I don't ship the short barrel with the firearm.  Just the 16"+ barrel.

IMHO, USPS is about the last of the shippers non-ffl's can ship with if the firearm has at 16"+ barrel, OAL > 26".

pstidan mentioned the only way I know to get them back - thru an FFL.

Just what I've found.  There may be other options I'm not familiar with.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

ps.  UPS - Strict prohibition on shipping MG's.  Fedex say no unless both parties have an FFL.  This is clearly stated on their web site.

Edited by Grasshopper

USPS Registered Priority Mail only.  Insurable to $50k each package.  If you need $60k you will need to pack separately.  Water Activated Reinforced Packing Tape on all seams of the box is required.  Example here Staples Standard Grade Water Activated Reinforced Packing Tape, 2.8" x 375', Brown Kraft (468231-CC) | Staples

If you have an option, try to go to a larger post office.  They should have the larger registered mail secure bags to fit rifle boxes.  It is very simple, they don't ask you what is inside, and they take these high value packages very seriously.  

• Like 1

You may want to check someone like Collectors Insurance.  Your policy can cover shipping in addition to your collection at home/travel.   I understand they are much easier to deal with if there is a lost or damaged firearm.  You will be dealing with USPS for months+++.  I understand this is how John A insures work he ships back, but he uses FedEx.

Piling on, yes, USPS REgistered mail is the only way to safely ship firearms and particularly NFA weapons.  I get lots of guns via FedEx and UPS but I don't use them for shipping out any firearm anymore since the likelihood of them paying for a claim are slim and none.  Communist/ democrats (same thing, right?) are anti-gun and that's my take.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, dw1 said:

Good morning all,

I need advice.

I have an old machine guns (total current market value ~$60,000.00) in need of repairs, wanting to ship to Mr. Andrewski.  I was advised by UPS and FedEx  mid level managers, that they will not ship.  If I ship via these carriers,  its against the new law; further more, if found it is confiscated.  In addition, if lost its not insurable.

What is recommended and how to insure it for send/return trip.

Thank you 

You wrote "if found it is confiscated."
I wonder what the legality of that regulation is.
What right does UPS or FedEx have to confiscate a legal, registered NFA item? If they did confiscate one, they would be in illegal possession of it since it's no longer under the umbrella of being legally transported.
But how does one prosecute a business? How does LE arrest and book an entity? And who gave parcel carriers the legal right to confiscate anything?
Furthermore, if they did confiscate a MG, what happens to that MG next? Logically, they should notify the AFT. But I would think the "duty" of the AFT upon coming into possession of a legally registered item, would be to notify the registered owner and return it to them.

Chef is correct.  It's like when UPS or Fedex discovers (illegal) drugs in a shipment. They notify LE - who has the authority to confiscate them, and investigate any crimes.  In the case of a NFA item, the investigation would result in the return of that item to the lawful owner.  That said, maybe not worth the risk, when the USPS is a viable alternative.