NIB vs. Test Fired???

I have a NIB Group UZI that has not even garnered an offer. Obviously overpriced? I priced it at where it appeared the market was heading with the intention of considering any reasonable offers. It is new in box and in perfect condition. I am asking for opinions on whether I should test fire this gun or is there more value in keeping it new/unfired? Here is the link. Thanks in advance!.     

Personally I would like to have it test fired but I shoot all of my guns and don’t hold any as pure investments. Others may differ.

There is nothing worse than waiting a long time for a gun and it does not run when you finally get it. I have had that happen and it was because I told the dealer not to worry about test firing a Mac 10 when he offered.

Firearms are meant to be shot. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd have fun with it until it sold. You're not gonna break it. 

On a side note, I know of at least one (excellent condition) GI Uzi that has sat for a while at $18k. I don't think Uzis are moving right now.

Hi FE,

Personally I'd leave it unfired unless a buyer requires a proof-of-function test.  Only then would I fire the gun after a 10% deposit.  If the gun doesn't run, the buyer gets his/her money back.  If it does run and the buyer backs-out, you (estate) keep the deposit.

You can't return it to NIB after being test fired.

With respect to pricing, I'm not sure what Uzi have been selling for.  I've seen what the ask was in the ads but not the price realized.  I also have offered on the boards guns at 5% over "market" and had no response.  When I hit market they sell in hours or days.

I also read the ad.  It appears that the Vector will have to transfer to you prior to sale?  You do not mention that it is in your inventory.  I've F4 to dealer running from 3 weeks to 6 months right now.  This may make potential buyers apprehensive.

Just sayin.  Just an opinion.  Sad to sell stuff for any estate.

Take care,

Grasshopper

There are different categories of buyers.
Some guys buy a MG to have fun with it, others buy strictly as a potential investment/future resale.
If you have a MG that's unfired, NIB, that will appeal to the the investors/resellers and those few people who want new, but also to shoot it.
If you test fire it yourself or have someone "go over it" and test fire it, not only will you lose out on that potential market of "NIB" buyers, the gun is now used, regardless of how you want to spin it.
The UZI is way overpriced in today's market, regardless of it's condition. If you pay someone to "go through it" and test fire it, you're just going to waste money and cut into your profits because you're not going to capitalize on that investment.
UZIs aren't top dollar firearms so paying for a certificate stating it's operational as verified by someone isn't going to make it more desirable.
I'm sure you've seen some of Rubin's listings where he has his guns "gone over" by Terry Dyer, refinished, parts replaced and test fired.
That may appeal to those first time "bucket list" buyers, the "I've always wanted a MG" guys who finally cashed out their retirement savings, but it's not going to help your sale.
It's only "NIB" once and the more you handle it, move the selector, unfold the stock and rack the bolt, the more wear you put on the contact areas (I can already see wear starting in the selector area in your pictures).
It's your gun, you can do what you want, but if it were mine, I'd leave it NIB and either lower the price to market standard or sit on it until the market rises to meet your sale price.

Unfired guns normally get a little more out of them but not enough in my eyes to not shoot the thing. Right now uzis seem to be trading around that 15k mark anything over that isn’t moving from what I’ve seen. Also there is a good amount of unfired uzis floating around so this isn’t a rarity. It’s not an unfired colt Thompson or something like that. Another thing also to think about is some of the group/vector uzis had issues right out of the box a lot of guys when looking for an uzi prefer buying it used because they know it runs good. If you drop your price to 17 ish it probably will sell. But 20 is just to much for an uzi in this current market in my opinion.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thumpy said:

Unfired guns normally get a little more out of them but not enough in my eyes to not shoot the thing. Right now uzis seem to be trading around that 15k mark anything over that isn’t moving from what I’ve seen. Also there is a good amount of unfired uzis floating around so this isn’t a rarity. It’s not an unfired colt Thompson or something like that. Another thing also to think about is some of the group/vector uzis had issues right out of the box a lot of guys when looking for an uzi prefer buying it used because they know it runs good. If you drop your price to 17 ish it probably will sell. But 20 is just to much for an uzi in this current market in my opinion.

I think it will sell at $20k, but it might be a while.

In the several years that I've been prowling MG websites and tracking this stuff, I've noticed that the market cycles and buyers will gain or lose interest in certain items. Right now buyers aren't too interested in the Uzi, judging by how many are sitting. 

13 hours ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

I think it will sell at $20k, but it might be a while.

In the several years that I've been prowling MG websites and tracking this stuff, I've noticed that the market cycles and buyers will gain or lose interest in certain items. Right now buyers aren't too interested in the Uzi, judging by how many are sitting. 

Absolutely agree my friend. There does seem to be cycles in the NFA world. No idea what causes it but I’ve noticed that too. 

Edited by Thumpy

Well to me new in box means it has not been fired. I own one gun that is new in box unfired. If someone wants me to fire it for sale my answer is no. Go kick someone else's tires. Now if you buy it and there is an issue, I will make it right but at that point is it my fault or manufactures, Sticky wick there indeed. But alas it is your gun do as you deem the right thing to do. An item is never overpriced there is always someone that will pay up now only to find them. 

On 6/4/2023 at 12:01 AM, Thumpy said:

Absolutely agree my friend. There does seem to be cycles in the NFA world. No idea what causes it but I’ve noticed that too. 

Movies and video games. If a bunch of The War of The Rebellion films and games come out, watch Sharps, Smith, and Spencer carbines become unobtanium.