What shipping method do you use for NFA firearms?

Dstep

Recently just sold an NFA firearm, and the customer said to use USPS since Fedex is not supposed to ship machine guns or destructive devices (their rule) and will disallow any insurance claim for same. USPS has a $25K insurance limit on Priority Mail, so that leave most machine guns with quite a bit of exposure.

What the heck do you do????"

Thanks for any help,

David

I recently shipped one out for repair and after doing a lot of research, USPS Registered Mail is what I went with. Furthermore, I bought a cheap Apple air tag and placed it (hidden) in the package. I asked the gunsmith if he had any issues with me putting one in there, he did Not. 

I found out the hard way that Registered Mail is slow, really slow. Thankfully, it got there safe. You can insure Registered Mail up to 50k irc. 
I shipped the MG in a rifle case and insured it for 30k. That cost me $207, which aim to bad. The package has to be sealed with brown paper tape on the edges and they then stamp that. 

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Edited by KickStand

Many MG sellers use USPS registered mail which has a max insured limit of 50K. Registered mail is more safe than other options since I heard they are stored in secured containers and there needs to be a signature every time it’s handed off to a different person. The drawbacks are the security measures make it very slow and it is quite expensive.

Make sure you find on the USPS website *how* a package is supposed to be boxed and secured.  One of the items is they want the brown package tape and not the clear (there's some other stuff but it has been a couple of years since I looked at it).  Wasn't an NFA item but had a friend get dinged because they said item wasn't properly sealed and it created issues on the claim.

• Like 1

BUT, with USPS the firearm cannot be concealable.  USPS has a length requirement in their regs for concealable.  Can't find it right now.

Pistol size from a non FFL is not allowed.

• Like 1

Yes, just to pile on, USPS registered.  The brown paper tape is difficult to find, but my local PO will let me use theirs for free.  Benefits of small town living.  AS has been stated, every time it is handed off someone has to sign for it and it is their butt/job on the line if it goes missing.  I've not used air tags but am going to look into it for my next one.  UPS definitely won't ship them, and FedEx has recently moved to deny any claim against one.  I still get suppressors shipped every way, one showed up in my mailbox today with no signature required.  Regular package mail, not priority or anything, from a big dealer.

• Like 1