Sten suppressor

Got Uzi

I am working on a model for a STEN suppressor as I have a few people asking for them.  I wanted to gauge interest in them to see if it would be worth doing a small production run of them.  I don't have costs figured out yet as this is just a concept for right now.

Well the design has my mono-core baffle stack and a ported barrel. The OD of the suppressor would be 1 1/2” and 12” OAL

The plan is to have it setup for ported barrel use with standard velocity ammunition but also have a sleeve that can go over the ports to seal them so you could use 147 grain ammunition as well. I’m waiting for some material to come in so I can start on the prototype. 

Here is a base concept cutaway model to give an idea of it. 

IMG_6564.jpeg

• Like 1

I too am interested if appearance is that of original, and price is not too high.

I have been thinking of a barrelled sleeve that I could screw one of my already owned 9mm cans into that would appear close to original, but without paperwork and a years wait.....   (Food for thought)

John 

And if anyone might have an original lace-up insulating sleeve as afrank has pictured, that I could take careful measurements of in an attempt to reproduce these (with silicone inserts), please let me know.

retiredshooter@gmail.com

I have a demo unit ready. I’m going to try it with 147 subs first, then I’ll port the barrel and see if there is any difference with cycling and noise difference. I wish I could test this weekend but I have a show I have to get packed for this afternoon and I’ll be at the show all weekend. More to follow next week….

IMG_6595.jpeg

IMG_6596.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg

• Like 1

I just bought my first Sten, so am definitely interested! I have been looking at the GSL. My dealer called them and they said they had baffle strikes so no longer produce it! I am looking for a suppressor that is really quiet. It's hard to judge on the youtube video but it looks great. I understand the difference between a silencer and a suppressor. The historical geek in me wants it to look as close to the WW2 as possible. I've never had a can before on any weapon so am excited to learn. As long as its not an expensive education! 

In person you can hear the bolt clacking as it the round fires so it’s pretty darn quite. It also depends on the ammunition. I am going to port the barrel then try different ammunition in it to see what the results are there as well. You have to remember that you won’t get “movie quiet” out of stuff like this but it will be close. 

When you make the videos into shorts, they compress the width. I’ve been playing with different settings for videos and still working that out. 

Never heard a bronze bolt fired with a can but owned my MkII since 2005 and so watching prices a long time.... it seems that IF you can find one nowadays that's not worn out it'll set you back more than a couple tax stamps.

Saw one last summer for $550 and shipping. Nope. Couple db's isn't worth that, and then k Lee Tool has a parts kit with a bronze bolt for $$$$.....

BTW, The replacement mag springs LeeTool sells are awesome!

Edited by john
Sp

7 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

In person you can hear the bolt clacking as it the round fires so it’s pretty darn quite. It also depends on the ammunition. I am going to port the barrel then try different ammunition in it to see what the results are there as well. You have to remember that you won’t get “movie quiet” out of stuff like this but it will be close. 

When you make the videos into shorts, they compress the width. I’ve been playing with different settings for videos and still working that out. 

I would think landscape would have been better to get everything more into view. Of course these phones nowadays are way over zoomed in from the start. 

This design makes me want to build a Sten.

Excuse my ignorance. What is the advantage of having a ported barrel vs a non-ported one? Is it to be able to suppress supersonic ammo?

Since I am after less sound, I will use subsonic ammo. The video looks awesome. I noticed the Fiocchi ammo is louder (at first, anyway). 

Yes the ported barrel would allow you to use standard 115 or 124 grain ammo and make it sub sonic. 

You are not wrong on the 147 Fiocchi being a little louder than the 151 Barnall. I used some 158 Fiocchi and it was a little less noise than the 147. I also noticed that the gun ran faster with the 147 vs the 151. 

You could use my S&W 76 for the adaptor development as I'm interested in one of those also, BUT .... if I recall, I think you're in Ohio (?) and I'm in Minnesota. Guessing you can come up with one locally and not have to mess with shipping, but the offer is there anyway.

John

('john' on MG books. 'postal' on Snugbus and a few other forums)