Multi-Caliber MG: What goes in "caliber" Box 4(c) on the Form 3?

MP5

Here's a question for you experienced folks ..........

I have a MG that I got in 1994 that needs to be transferred out on a paper Form 3. (It's so old that it doesn't appear in my eForms inventory.) On the original [approved] 1994 Form, Box 4(c) for the caliber was left blank, probably because it came with three different caliber bbls; the Transferor never put anything in that box, and it was approved like that almost 30 years ago. My question is:  Do I put those three calibers in Box 4(c) of the new Form 3's I'm going to make up, and submit it (USPS Mail it) like that? Or do I leave that box blank, like it is on the previously approved 1994 form?  Since I am doing this by mail, I'd really like to make sure it is correct when I mail it in, so I don't get it back - rejected - in 3 or 4 weeks, and have to start the paper form mail-in process all over again. 

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing, or something similar?  Any info greatly appreciated.   

My uzi came from an older guy on his form it said 22/9mm/45acp. When it was in transfer to me it got kicked back an he had to make a correction to the form 4 the atf told him just pick a caliber. My form 4 says 9mm. So I’d say just pick what ever the most common caliber is for your gun an go from there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thumpy said:

My uzi came from an older guy on his form it said 22/9mm/45acp. When it was in transfer to me it got kicked back an he had to make a correction to the form 4 the atf told him just pick a caliber. My form 4 says 9mm. So I’d say just pick what ever the most common caliber is for your gun an go from there.

Yeah, that might be the easiest thing to do.  But the current Registration Form it is on has nothing in the caliber box; it's just blank.  So I am wondering if I put something/anything in there on the new Form 3 that I send in, and then ATF compares that new Form 3 to the current Registration form in their Registry - and sees a blank caliber box on that - if it will result is some adverse response from the NFA Examiner.  Like, it'll get kicked back because the newly submitted form doesn't exactly agree with the current form. It's a conundrum.

2 hours ago, MP5 said:

Yeah, that might be the easiest thing to do.  But the current Registration Form it is on has nothing in the caliber box; it's just blank.  So I am wondering if I put something/anything in there on the new Form 3 that I send in, and then ATF compares that new Form 3 to the current Registration form in their Registry - and sees a blank caliber box on that - if it will result is some adverse response from the NFA Examiner.  Like, it'll get kicked back because the newly submitted form doesn't exactly agree with the current form. It's a conundrum.

It will definitely get kicked back if you just leave it empty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mattnh said:

You are overthinking it - if there is an attached barrel, put that caliber.  If there is no barrel (eg RDIAS), put N/A

9 hours ago, Thumpy said:

It will definitely get kicked back if you just leave it empty.

^^^^AGREED^^^^

41 minutes ago, MP5 said:

What if I put all three calibers:  “ .308/30-‘06/8mm “  ??  Bad idea? Good idea?

Bad idea - just use 0.30

Think of it like ordering French Fries @ McDonalds drive thru - you can say whatever you want, but the guy on the other end only had S/M/L buttons on his computer - you can’t order SMLargeish  - it’s simply not on the menu…

Edited by mattnh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi MP5,

It will be like playing the lottery. 

-- You can be sure if you put more than one caliber it will get rejected so that should be a non-starter.

-- You can select the most likely caliber it would have seen at time of registration.  My favorite option.

-- You can leave it blank.  Who knows.  If the first form was blank BATF might want it blank.

Either way I'd not be concerned.  If need be it gets kicked back for corrections.  All my returned forms are normally approved in about 3 weeks after the correction.

As mentioned.  Don't put too much time in thinking about it as there isn't much of a down side of not getting it right the first time.  In my recent experience, they don't care what is on the current form.  BATF seems to be going back to the 1st registration form to read the information. 

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

• 4 weeks later...

I’m kinda new to this.  I have a US government stamped M16 in 5.56 made between 1968-1971. My tax stamp issued a week ago says .223.  I don’t think they care very much as long as it sounds plausible.  

A buddy of mine always says ‘tell the government what they want to hear’.    Leaving it blank will certainly raise flags.  

What gun? Go with either the barrel that's on it (as previously suggested) or most common / original caliber for gun.  1919? Go with .30 cal.  M2? Same, .30 cal.  They won't bless a multi-cal, and I highly doubt if they will bless a blank.  There's a contact email where you can tell them something is not listed on your online inventory.  Give all pertinent info - name, SN - and in a week or so they'll email you back saying that they added the item.  I would think worst case they may ask for pictures with dimensions to update their database, or they may ask for a copy of the registration.  Good luck.