Thompson Serial number dates w Overstamp?

theMexican

Interesting. I would assume this was done by a gunsmith in the military or was this common practice out in the civilian market when these things were out and about? I’m being told this gun was made in 1943. And what’s up with the grinder mark far left of the receiver? Looks like dog dick but I’m hoping it was done on purpose to tamp down my OCD. Ha

thanks for your input. 

The grinder mark is intentional. It was done to remove the 'US' from the model name, often at the same time the 'C' was stamped over the '1' in 'A1'. This was done to denote a commercial sale as opposed to a military sale. When a Colt-manufactured 1921 got a compensator, they would stamp 'AC' on it, but in your case it was to denote 'Commercial'. The year 1943 sounds about right.

• Like 1

Would it be safe to say they probably  had this thing made for military use, since the war was winding down no need to send it to the soldiers so lets just sell it on the commercial market? And where does one go to look up when these were made? I cant seem to find anything with serial number documentation.

Edited by theMexican
double post, needs removed.

2 hours ago, Bwana said:

Yep.  Grinder mark far left of receiver is definitely a dog dick.  It is a rare variant for this model.

Actually, I think that's where they purposely removed the "US" from the model designation.

Would it be safe to say they probably  had this thing made for military use, since the war was winding down no need to send it to the soldiers so lets just sell it on the commercial market? And where does one go to look up when these were made? I cant seem to find anything with serial number documentation.

The last 1928A1s made for the military were in 1942. By late 1942 the military was buying only M1s and then M1A1s, so the left over 28s went to commercial/police sales or into storage to be sold/assembled later. Several good books are available, but American Thunder focuses on WWII production. The more recent Thompson Encyclopedia is a great reference also.

I have not seen exact years for specific serial numbers, only serial number ranges. But the simplified L sight on the gun you show was not used til 1942. 

Hi theMexican,

And the plot thickens :)

For debatable reasons, an "X" has also been added to your S/N.  I know of one very much like this one with S/N 152,NNNX.

BTW, buy it!  Very solid shooters that run well and are quite rugged.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

46 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Hi theMexican,

And the plot thickens :)

For debatable reasons, an "X" has also been added to your S/N.  I know of one very much like this one with S/N 152,NNNX.

BTW, buy it!  Very solid shooters that run well and are quite rugged.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

I have decided to buy it, honestly I’m pretty shocked how good the condition is after finding out that it was one of two sold to the Mass. Police Dept in 1944 or so. I guess they didn’t use this one much back in the day. That’s from an article I read on small arms review suggest the “X” is for. I’m going to do a history report via FOIA to shed light on the history of this TG. Thanks for the input!

I have one with the number like that. What I have been told is that the leftover receivers were assembled after WWII by Numrich (?). Runs and shoots good.

When you get your FOIA back. Please share as much information with us as you feel comfortable with.

2 hours ago, gftiv said:

I have one with the number like that. What I have been told is that the leftover receivers were assembled after WWII by Numrich (?). Runs and shoots good.

When you get your FOIA back. Please share as much information with us as you feel comfortable with.

NP I will share the info, as you mentioned before this is all debatable bc they are such "Frankenstein" guns for the most part I think FOIA history report will shed some light on her timeline. One of the reasons I tend to think It may be a Mass.PD gun is that the serial # is traced back to 43 and Numrich did what they did in the 50's from what I have read. Of course this thing could have sat and had that done. But the case it came in to the best of my knowledge, Numrich never sold them in these fancy cases. You aware of any? That being said the original owner could have purchased the case separate. Round and round we go! hahahah

IMG_8495.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...