Question for guys who own/shoot MP5SD.

SBR

Do you run cast bullets through your guns?  I know that the SD is not meant to be shot with subsonic ammo but is lead a no no as well?  Just curious. Might want to pick up an SBR SD and didnt want to feed it the wrong reloads.  Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, TGW said:

I have not run cast in any of my guns. They are with to much to run bad/dirty ammo. Getting carbon out of a suppressor is one thing but never wanted to try to get lead out. FWIW

Edited by TGW

NO WAY on the cast. I run 115 grain or 124 grain FMJ factory brass cased ammo only. YMMV! Pictured is my 1972 Dealer Sample I bought in 1990 for $1600. Sent it out to Ralph @ RDTS who performed the SD conversion. Should I have done that to a $1600 dealer sample in 1993? Who knows...

image.jpeg

Cast bullets are a no go in an SD unless you wanna have a really expensive pile of parts with a trashed barrel and suppressor!

If you are reloading to keep your shooting costs down, fully encapsulated/plated bullets are good to reduce lead fouling in the suppressor but the “jacket” is still sort and can shave off easy. Guns were designed for 124 NATO 9mm FMJ and that’s what they need. I’ll run 115 FMJ in mine with no issues but that’s the only variation. 

If you can afford to buy the gun, quit trying to be a tight ass and cheap out on feeding it correctly. Like buying a Porsche and running cheap gas in it…

• Like 1

I'd run the cheap gas unless I knew I was going to the track.  The car can "de-tune" for the lower octane, the SD cannot close off the barrel ports and "unlead" the can electronically in a millisecond. 

The entire HK platform is a high performance series with tight tolerances and when you stray from the design parameters problems occur pretty quickly.....and are never cheap to fix, except extractor springs.