Registered sear vs. registered reciever?

crash813

Just looking for some general information when looking at the difference between buying a rifle with a registered sear vs. buying a registered reciever?  Obviously a registered sear means the rifle was converted, but other than that.... any concerns with getting just the sear?  Long term value?  Reliability?  Concerns if the sear becomes damage, how likely to get it repaired/replaced/etc.  Any information is appreciated.

11 hours ago, crash813 said:

Just looking for some general information when looking at the difference between buying a rifle with a registered sear vs. buying a registered reciever?  Obviously a registered sear means the rifle was converted, but other than that.... any concerns with getting just the sear?  Long term value?  Reliability?  Concerns if the sear becomes damage, how likely to get it repaired/replaced/etc.  Any information is appreciated.

It really depends on the weapon platform.

Off the top of my head, a registered sear could refer to:

-an HK sear

-an AR sear

-an AK sear

-an FNC sear

-an Uzi sear 

To illustrate, let's compare an HK sear and an AK sear. With the HK, the registered sear is installed in a removable trigger pack. Generally, you would be able to move the trigger pack from gun to gun. An AK sear, on the other hand, is installed directly into the receiver. It's going to be permanently married to the receiver it is installed in. A registered AR sear could refer to a Drop In Auto Sear, which could typically be moved from gun to gun. Or, it could be the traditional M16 sear, which is permanently married to the receiver via the infamous third hole. To sum it up, a conversion device that can be moved from gun to gun is going to be more valuable than a conversion device that is married to one gun. Reliability is also weapon dependent. An HK sear is probably going to last a lifetime, an Uzi sear is probably not. A registered sear that is damaged may be able to be repaired, if none of the original markings are affected.

Hope that helps somewhat. 

Sear -vs- RR is a subject/debate that can get very long. And you're not going to get a general consensus on which is better unless you say what your use/reason for wanting one is..
What should be your main deciding factor is what is your primary reason for wanting the sear/firearm.
Bullet hose?
Investment?
Collectability?
Cool factor?
Etc...

Determine that and then you can get advice better geared toward your goal.

Thanks guys so far for the info.  Basically was looking at the FNC platform.  Have little experience with fully automated weapons.  FNCs fit the bill between half investment/half fun at the range.  I didn't even know there was a registered sear examples since all i've seen so far were factory recievers and hence the question.  I don't mind spending the money, but i don't want to just piss it away.  

14 hours ago, crash813 said:

Thanks guys so far for the info.  Basically was looking at the FNC platform.  Have little experience with fully automated weapons.  FNCs fit the bill between half investment/half fun at the range.  I didn't even know there was a registered sear examples since all i've seen so far were factory recievers and hence the question.  I don't mind spending the money, but i don't want to just piss it away.  

I believe all the FNC conversions are sears.  Fabrique Nationale’s FNC: Part II, Its Conversion to Select Fire - Small Arms Review

Make sure you get one with the sear installed by S&H.  I bought a FNC in January and I like it a lot.  Everyone that shoots it, likes it.

The FNC is a very good gun.  Please talk about the lack of parts availability, but honestly, it is a better built gun.  

The only real downside I see, is the FNC market is just not as large as M16 or HK.  They will never get those top end dollars or sell as quickly. 

Edited by bauerdb
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bauerdb said:

I believe all the FNC conversions are sears.

Not all FNC conversions are sear guns...there's a few RR conversions FNCs out there.  IIRC, Fleming made most of them.

22 hours ago, bauerdb said:

Make sure you get one with the sear installed by S&H.

Couldn't agree more...a S&H converted (sear) FNC is the "gold standard."

• Like 1

FNC is a great gun, but at their current price I would also consider a lightning link / SWD Auto-connector as it will be more flexible in that you can have multiple hosts and spare parts are a non-issue. The only thing is that it isn’t plug and play as you’ll need ar15 lowers and bolt carriers set up, but there are folks that offer that service (JEC specializes in this.) you can also set them up yourself if you have access to a milling machine.

crash....

bottom line...vast majority of FNC full autos have an S&H sear in them.

Just buy one of those guns and be done with it.

Don't fret over whether its an RR or sear---- it's just not important in the FNC platform as say it is in HK platform or AR15/M16.

Expect to pay about $20k.

Just the semi host rifles are fairly pricy now. I think only 6,000 were imported back in the day. Legend has it that some people are sitting on buckets of registered FNC sears - but really the lack of host guns is the limiting factor. Oh and ATF has said no -go to installing fnc reg sear into a SCAR and whatnot. yada Yada.

They are good guns. There are some aftermarket parts makers- but very limited. Firing pins, etc.

The weakness in the gun is the bolt. They are $$$$$ and basically can't be found for sale as stand alone items.