Form 4s Rejected for Multiple Cals Listed

EleyArms LLC

I’ve recently had 2 HK sear guns that each was previously listed on prior Form 4s as 9mm, 223 and 308. Same Examiner said they had to be limited to 9mm. They were then approved. Is this a common practice? Weren’t sears commonly registered in multiple cals?

Jim Eley

EleyArms, LLC

guns@eleys.com

Yep that was a normal and now they want them listed as just one. I sold a Group Industries Uzi and the original F4 had 3 calibers listed. It was kicked back and said to change it to just one caliber only. 

When I bought my Fleming sear, the ATF changed the maker from “Fleming” to “HK” so that one is still a little wacky. 

Not a stretch, most likely the way it was listed on the original registration.   The correct caliber for a sear is N/A since it is not a complete firearm, but that's not a choice in the drop down menu on the online forms, so you can randomly pick one caliber since that's what fits in the box.

11 hours ago, EleyArms LLC said:

I’ve recently had 2 HK sear guns that each was previously listed on prior Form 4s as 9mm, 223 and 308. Same Examiner said they had to be limited to 9mm. They were then approved. Is this a common practice? Weren’t sears commonly registered in multiple cals?

Jim Eley

EleyArms, LLC

guns@eleys.com

Thanks for the input guys. Does any one see a problem then if the sear registered as 9mm is in an HK chambered in 308? I can't see why it would except when trying to explain why to the next owner.

54 minutes ago, EleyArms LLC said:

Thanks for the input guys. Does any one see a problem then if the sear registered as 9mm is in an HK chambered in 308? I can't see why it would except when trying to explain why to the next owner.

At this time there is no problem. Doesn’t matter what caliber the paper says caliber wise. You can be using it in all hosts 

You can put a registered sear in in any configuration you like — any host, any length barrel, with or without stock, belt fed or magazine fed, any caliber — as you see fit. But to stay legal you have to be able to put it back in the configuration it was approved in.  Don’t sell your 9mm host if that’s the configuration you record on your Form 4.

1 minute ago, Christof Stehpinkler said:

You can put a registered sear in in any configuration you like — any host, any length barrel, with or without stock, belt fed or magazine fed, any caliber — as you see fit. But to stay legal you have to be able to put it back in the configuration it was approved in.  Don’t sell your 9mm host if that’s the configuration you record on your Form 4.

I disagree.

3 hours ago, Christof Stehpinkler said:

Umm, not at all.  You can sell the sear all on it's own without anything attached.  If you pull it from certain hosts that are would be classified as SBR's without the sear and not registered, that could be a problem.   Quite a number of sears were installed in HK51's and those had to be registered as SBR's before the sear could be removed and put somewhere else....unless you were dedicated/smart enough to install a long barrel while the sear/ trigger pack were in place?