FORM 4 (INDIVIDUAL TO DEALER) KICKED BACK

jjrphs

Just wanted to post a data point on my Form 4 to a Dealer which was just kicked back.  ATF's current Form 4 .pdf is editable and the platform I use for the few transfers I do.  I recently (well, back in August) sold an item to an out of state individual.  In filling out ATF's editable Form 4, I used the electronic signature function embedded in the form, just as I had on a couple other past transfers.

Much to my surprise, I receive both copies of the Form 4 back with an error letter stating the forms had not been signed.  I finally get the examiner on the phone and explain to her the electronic signature function is an option in ATF's own editable .pdf form, and that my two previous transfers with electronic signatures went through fine.  No dice says my she-examiner.  Apparently and according to her, electronic signatures are only accepted on eForms and it must be a facsimile of the transferor's real signature.  Not a digital block-letter signature stamp.

So, if you're using the ATF's editable Form 4 .pdf, you run the risk of having your form kicked back if you don't put an ink signature on it.

1 hour ago, jjrphs said:

A few days over 4 months.  I was not happy, but the examiner assured me the transfer would be approved upon their return, so there is that.

I found out they they do not allow the digitally signed documents, but they will take a shit digital scan of a scribbled signature emailed to them.

17 hours ago, Ryo said:

I heard about them not allowing digital signatures.. but they take faxes for response to corrections on Form 4s?

Yes/no

I had two clients that had the same space missing in their address (same address 2 different forms) that made two words into one. One was sent back for pen ink change/ other was email.

who knows