steyr aug

D Edwards

My experience is that its not the ideal platform to suppress.  Is it worth the trouble....I would say "maybe".... depending upon moderating your expectations.

1.  Any piston based system that directly vents high pressure gas out of the gas block for action regulation (normal, adverse, etc.) is going to be louder than say an AR15 where the gas jet is contained inside the action to a much greater degree.   The AUG vents gas directly out of the barrel, into the gas plug (aka regulator)  which then has a vent hole directly into the atmosphere.  So from a mechanical perspective the AUG is going to have what is traditionally know as "piston pop".     This is why on the Ratworx AUG specific suppressor they actually vented the piston vent into the suppressor body itself.

If you use the AUG specific "suppressor" gas plug, the vent hole into the atmosphere on the suppressor setting is even bigger that the normal sized hole in the gas plug (venting more gas so as to not overdrive the gun with the suppressor attached) which can make the piston pop even louder.  I am not sure why Steyr didn't restrict the entrance hole into the gas plug vs. just venting more gas out of the gas block but it is what it is.

That said a suppressor still makes a dramatic difference in terms of sound moderation on the AUG even if its not the best platform to suppress.

2. Given the bullpup arrangement and where it places you face/eyes in relationship to the ejection port any excess gas that pushed back out of the chamber it becomes much more noticeable to the shooter vs. a traditional rifle arrangement where you face is much farther back.  This is probably where a low backpressure style suppressor would really have an advantage.  Even with a suppressor gas plug not to overdrive the action, a high backpressure suppressor still pushes excess gas out of the chamber and into your face, especially in full auto.

I made a 14" pinned to  16"+  barrel via with a custom made AAC/51th/Tulip hider.   I also made a custom suppressor gas plug for it as well given there is no AUG suppressor gas plug for a 14" barrel. 

While it looks cool and functions fine,  I honestly don't really shoot the barrel much at all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by jbntex

I don't notice any difference between the AUG or an AR and I use the same suppressor on both (Gemtech M4-96d) platforms.     I also suppress the 9mm setup with a Bowers can, but I don't recall what it sounded like, and I have not tried subsonic ammo with it yet so it's unremarkable at best.

Function is fine on both guns and I never had to do any tweaking, but AUG setup varies a LOT from gun to gun since most use some combination of converted or non factory type parts  The way I have my 223 setup it runs a lot smoother than the 9mm and is more controllable, which was a surprise and actually a disappointment with the 9mm. 

Also of note I shoot AR's left handed which may not help, while the 223 aug has a LH bolt.  The 9 has a different ejection pattern so it works out, whereas the .223 RH would be a problem.

In my experience suppressing the AUG is best done with a low back pressure can. Mine SUCKS with an AAC M4-2K08, even with the suppressed gas valve. It’s better with a SF 762 SOCOM. And I bet it’s great with a Hux 556 Flow. 

• 3 weeks later...

You need the Ratworx can designed specifically for the AUG. It can only be used with the 16" tube because it also comes with a replacement extended length gas system that dumps all that gas into a threaded hole off to the side in the back cap. Mine is hearing safe.

Edited by Josey Wales