Semi m1 carbine marked M2

Dean

I went and looked at a host for my registered M2 kit yesterday.  It was a plainfield marked M2 with no full auto parts except the stock.  Owner was older gentleman who said he had since the 70's.  I wanted to get some clarity before I purchase.

Thanks

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/u-s-government-sold-nearly-a-quarter-million-illegal-rifles-to-citizens/# 

Start here with this one it address 250,000 that illegally surplus m1’s I’m still looking for the article about the cmp selling m2 semi auto carbines it’s been posted here before once upon a time. So it might help looking threw it.

If the gun Dean looked at was a Plainfield M-2 then it would be a commercial gun and not anything the CMP ever sold. So regardless of any exemption that may or may not have been made for the CMP the Plainfield gun marked M-2 would run afoul of the ATF. ATF plainly states that any carbine marked M-2 is to be considered a machinegun.

If you are curious about a particular gun then get the serial number and call the NFA branch. They can tell you if it's on the registry. This being said I would keep the part about the M-2 markings to myself.

3 hours ago, Thumpy said:

Do you know any one who’s ever been convicted for having a m1 that was semi auto that some one over stamped a 2? I’ve never heard of it or seen it.

Would you want to be the first? I wouldn't when there are literally millions of others readily available. Not to mention I personally would never buy a commercial carbine from the seventies or eighties as they were notoriously poorly constructed. We had a factory full auto commercial carbine years ago and it was a total POS. If I had a registered kit I would find a nice cmp carbine with an M2 stock and use that with my kit. That's just me. I don't have any desire to push the boundaries of the ATF concerning NFA items. I know a guy who thought he could do what he wanted. His eight years in federal prison ends in 16 days.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, riflejunky said:

Would you want to be the first? I wouldn't when there are literally millions of others readily available. Not to mention I personally would never buy a commercial carbine from the seventies or eighties as they were notoriously poorly constructed. We had a factory full auto commercial carbine years ago and it was a total POS. If I had a registered kit I would find a nice cmp carbine with an M2 stock and use that with my kit. That's just me. I don't have any desire to push the boundaries of the ATF concerning NFA items. I know a guy who thought he could do what he wanted. His eight years in federal prison ends in 16 days.

What did your friend do?

Actually, this is a topic that will sooner or later come up. I suspect it will be an interesting court case. Some facts:

1-"Once a machine gun always a machine gun" Not true, in at least two cases. There is the case, in California IIRC, that a surplus British semiauto FAl was deemed by the judge to indeed be a true semiauto, even though it apparently was made on an FAL receiver that considered a machine gun. More recently, Fleming registered right at the 1986 cutoff date, some factory semiautos HK91s as machine guns. For some reason he wanted to CHANGE THEM BACK TO SEMI (talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!) He prevailed and the  guns were allowed to be semiauto again. Matter went to court and he won.

2-Sooner or later (say maybe from Korea?) a whole bunch of M1 carbines will come in. It is an outdated military weapon, shooting an obsolete caliber and, aside from a few countries where collectors may buy a few, they are destined for the ever hungry US market. The figur I keep hearing is about 600,000+-...Yes, that is a butt/boat load of them.

I would be willing to bet that a number of the are M1s overstamped into M2. Now, the fun begins. The gun was born a semiauto. Some parts were added to make it a full auto.

Think of this as adding an M2 parts kit.A new marking was added in the form of a number 2. If, the full auto parts are removed, then it becomes a semiauto, as it was made originally. But, what about the extra 2 markings? Well,  if you mark them with, say, your grandmother's nickname, it does not change the fact they were born a semiauto.

3-I suspect that the Big Dogs in the importing business have thought this out and must be waiting for Korea (and others, with lesser amounts of carbines) to release them. Having two precedents as mentioned above should help their case.

It should be interesting.

Okrana

3 hours ago, riflejunky said:

.... If I had a registered kit I would find a nice cmp carbine with an M2 stock and use that with my kit.

Actually full auto fire is known to sometimes stretch Carbine receivers.  Keeping the nice CMP gun for display purposes and putting the M2 kit in an otherwise worthless Plainfield makes all the sense in the world.  Putting it in a Plainfield M2 that is an unregistered is begging for trouble

4 hours ago, Thumpy said:

From the looks of it If your friend would have paid his bill an not tried to scam some one he would Be a free man today. 

I said I know a guy. I never said he was my friend. 

I am aware of the circumstances, rumors, stories and what not surrounding his case. He owed me a gun at the time. However he didn't get prosecuted for bad checks

Edited by riflejunky
grammatical error

18 hours ago, Dean said:

Also I understand you cant remove or change serial numbers.  What about filing off the M2 and touch it up?

You'd be better off just putting a spot of weld over the "2" and carefully filling it down and stamping a "1" in it's place and then refinishing it.
I would think the missing number would be a red flag.

31 minutes ago, Dean said:

Cause his price was $450 with 6 30rd mags.

I get that the monetary savings (50%) is appealing, but is it worth the headache to you if it should it turn out to be:

1.) A papered machinegun that isn't registered to you?

2.) An un-papered machinegun?

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if you get it or not.

My understanding is that Plainfield didn't manufacture semi-auto M-2's. That would be enough to give me pause if I were presented with such a deal.