So many hard case choices...Pelican/Storm cases....

R.L.

WTF? 

Used to be a time when you could buy a good Pelican #1750 case for less than $200. Bought at least 10 of em in the past from cases4less.

Guess they were bought up by another company Nalpack.

It has been a few years since I bought my last Pelican Protector case but holy shit how the prices and models have changed!!

I guess Pelican bought Storm and now they offer a gazillion models between 6 different lines.

After spending a couple of hr's wading through the sales baloney, seems that they now have a new line. 

Pelican Vault.

It's cheaper, and although they don't list the country of origin, they are not made in the USA.

Mexico is the country of origin I read somewhere. Not sure how accurate that is.

No lifetime warranty either. Price is lower but it appears the quality is too.

Kinda flimsy.

The Protector is the original drop out of the back of a plane Pelican model with a heavy shell, heavy hinges, purge valve,o-ring seal and stainless covered lock openings.

Storm is a lighter material, still has a lifetime warranty, but made more for airline travel. Not cheap either.

Pelican also has an Air Case model and a Mobile Military line, all made in the USA.

Guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a Pelican 1600 from Nalpack.com

Looks like they have a monopoly on both brand of cases. Could not find anywhere else for better pricing.

If anyone knows a better place to buy Pelican, please post it.

Cheers,

R.L.

11 hours ago, R.L. said:

If anyone knows a better place to buy Pelican, please post it.

harbour freight. Yes is chinesium but its simple blow molded plastic as well. 

They work just fine unless youre dropping them out of a helo (hardigg and pelican test to this for the mil).

also just remembered the ridgeline cases are sold at tsc/ cal ranch/farmstores. I use one of them to travel with.

Edited by taylorwso

Always liked the welded aluminum cases from ICC. lighter, just as strong, and they lock all 4 latches with one padlock of your choice. A little spendy, but worth it. (What's a dollar worth these days anyway? But that's a different discussion). Plus they stack nicely, unlike most slippery plastic cases.

I have found a bunch of Pelicans at gun shows. Some new, some used surplus, but always at a discount. I use them for gun shows, go boxes, to freight precious cargo, as well as for checked baggage on airlines. On my last flight, the bag check lady for Frontier Airlines was setting it on the conveyor and said, "Wait, are there any guns in here?" to which I responded, "Just clothes, my probation officer says I can't be around guns...or small animals." 

• Like 2