NFA Items traveling out of state

GunsinTX

Brand new to NFA items. Setup my trust early this year and I've got 4 transfers pending approval at my local SOT. I bought an MP40 submachine gun which had the stamp cash in May, followed by 3 suppressors which cashed earlier this month. I've got a planned trip out of state towards the end of April 2022. The destination state, and each state in between have no state laws restricting legal MGs or silencers, but I want to make sure my understanding of the process for bringing my new toys on this trip.

I believe I'll need an approved 5230.20 for the MG, listing each state I'll be traveling in, and the dates. I can put additional states and dates for any other trips I may have 2022 as well on the same 5230.20. Silencers don't require a 5230.20 so I won't need to worry about them.

Assuming my tax stamp on the MG comes back in ~220 days which seems to be par for the course at the moment. that would give me an end of January 2022 approval. About a month for stamp in hand, is end of February. From what I've read online the 5230.20 is roughly a month as well. That should work with a little bit of margin for the timing of this trip, but if anything runs long I may have an issue. With this in mind, do I need to wait until the stamp is in hand for the MG before I file 5230.20, or can I file it the day Silencershop emails me to say it's been approved? Is there any risk of 5230.20 being denied if properly applied for, or is it shall issue?

Thanks in advance! 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, GunsinTX said:

With this in mind, do I need to wait until the stamp is in hand for the MG before I file 5230.20, or can I file it the day Silencershop emails me to say it's been approved? Is there any risk of 5230.20 being denied if properly applied for, or is it shall issue?

On 7/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, GunsinTX said:

how is SS going to know if a MG is approved?  BTW they don't know/care about the status of the silence Form 4, only your dealer will.

Yes wait until its approved, if you want it to move as fast as possible email it in

Edited by taylorwso

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 10:55 AM, GunsinTX said:

I believe I'll need an approved 5230.20 for the MG, listing each state I'll be traveling in, and the dates. I can put additional states and dates for any other trips I may have 2022 as well on the same 5230.20.

5320.20 can be requested for up to 1 calendar year from the FROM date, ie. Feb 12th, 2022 to Feb 11th, 2023, etc.  You only need to file the 5320.20 for states in which you are ending up in, you do not need them for the states in which you are stopping for gas or spending a night in a hotel, ie. if you are merely stopping to rest while transiting to a final destination in another state a 5320.20 is not legally required, though it never hurts to have extra forms in case you decided to stay and sight see I suppose.

Protip: Once a year, fill out a 5320.20 for every state you think you might travel to and file them all at the same time. Re-file them again every year on the same date.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 6:01 AM, Grasshopper said:

And,

If the MP-40 is C&R, get your C&R Collectors License.  $30/3 years and you can take your C&R MG's to a friendly state w/o the 5320.20.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Unfortunately mine is a tube gun, so the C&R I have doesn't help there. 

Appreciate the answers guys! Thanks! 

• 7 months later...