Recent Shipping Experiences: FedEx and USPS Registered Mail?

MP5

I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their recent experiences with shipping MG's (FFL Dealer, to FFL Dealer) via FedEx and USPS Registered Mail?  FedEx seems to want a lot of forms and agreements on file ahead of time, and I can't even get ahold of anyone (an "Account Executive"?) to talk to.  And how is FedEx with claims?  USPS Registered Mail has worked well in the past, but tracking of those packages, once they are "in the system" seems like it is not consistent; the packages often disappear from the tracking history for 1-2 weeks, then eventually re-appear at a hub that is close to the destination.  It's a bit nerve-wracking.  Anyone here ever had a USPS Registered Mail package get lost or stolen, particularly from within the USPS system? And what about claims for lost or damaged USPS Registered Mail?  Any info appreciated.

FedEx won't do guns unless you are a LARGE dealer.  Ship otherwise at your own risk.

USPS Registered is the most secure, no comparison.  Add an Apple Airtag for improved tracking.

All companies suck when it comes to insurance claims, frankly.  Best off getting a supplemental policy that covers your shipment

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 2

I have a C&R FFL and have received NFA at my address and happened to be there to sign.   Never shipped any kind of firearm but for my incoming stuff... Fedex, UPS and USPS have all left stuff requiring a signature on my doorstep when I was miles away.  Look on their website and see "signed for by (my name)".   Lying bastards, all of them.

Kevin in NC 

• Like 1

Hi,

FWIW, for the small FFL/SOT, USPS appears to be the only option.  I make sure I file a PS Form 1508, wrap it up like a mummy with an outer covering of brown paper, use the correct water activated paper/fiber tape, and off to the post office to mail USPS Registered and Insured.  I also carry a copy of the shop FFL/SOT and the appropriate Federal license information to prove the package is going from a "bona fide dealer" to a "bona fide dealer".  Luck for us nothing as taken more than 8 calendar days to arrive at the destination.  Nothing has gone missing in 23 years so no comment on the quality of the insurance.

Good Luck,

Grasshopper