Bm59 thoughts?

Dean

A real one made by Beretta, great gun.  One made from an M1 receiver with Beretta parts, have to personally inspect to see how well it was done. Quality varies too greatly to generalize.  One made on a rewelded receiver requires an even closer inspection.  All three types are generally lumped together so truly "buyer beware"   on these.  As a note some parts for BM59 like Op Rods, because they are not always around, tend to be expensive.  Modified M1 rods, depending on how well they were done do not always work as well as they should.  That's why the BM62 was changed to use a straight rod like the M14 does.  What appeals about the BM59? 

I own 2 different models of the Springfield Armory BM 59. Nice shooting 7.62X51. As noted be careful you get one either Beretta or Springfield marked. Magazine are very expensive if you can find them. I've seen a few made up from cut Garand's over the years. IIRC they were marked Golden State Arms.

This was my dilemma about a year ago when deciding between a Bm59 or M14 

Bm59 and an M14 cost about the same. 

Bm59 is arguably a better weapon. But parts are harder to find and less aftermarket material. 

M14 parts are cheap and numerous with tons of information about the firearm out there and readily available. 

If I were simply collecting I would have maybe went with the bm59 however I want to run and gun the thing. I went with the m14 and haven't looked back. 

Hope this was helpful. 

3 hours ago, Hyattz said:

This was my dilemma about a year ago when deciding between a Bm59 or M14 

Bm59 and an M14 cost about the same. 

Bm59 is arguably a better weapon. But parts are harder to find and less aftermarket material. 

M14 parts are cheap and numerous with tons of information about the firearm out there and readily available. 

If I were simply collecting I would have maybe went with the bm59 however I want to run and gun the thing. I went with the m14 and haven't looked back. 

Hope this was helpful. 

You are right on reading material.  But parts are very plentiful for the BM59 and some cheaper than M14.  Sarco has complete kits.

I've had nothing but terrible experiences with sarco and avoid them.

Parts kits not being complete as what was advertised. 

Buying mauser bolts and receiving the wrong ones. 

New production items having screws 1/16th to 1/8 out of alignment. 

I'm sure they do a lot of good for a lot of people but they won't get my business anymore. 

• Like 1