Removing End Cap on 550 Buttstock

jimk23

58 minutes ago, JoshNC said:

I’ve not had to remove any. But replacement Swiss buttpads are available on Gunbroker. It’s wise to stock up (pun intended) on a few. 

Josh;  Have you ever seen the SIG tool used to remove the old buttpad?  I have heard of such a tool, but I have never seen one.  I'm sure if a picture of the tool is published someone here in the US can make one.

5 hours ago, pstidan said:

Josh;  Have you ever seen the SIG tool used to remove the old buttpad?  I have heard of such a tool, but I have never seen one.  I'm sure if a picture of the tool is published someone here in the US can make one.

I have not. A friend has and I reached out to him. He’s going to send some pics.

He said he used automotive trim removing tools and they worked well and did not damage the plastic, that if you are lucky the old rubber just falls apart and is not difficult . 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 5:05 PM, JoshNC said:

I have not. A friend has and I reached out to him. He’s going to send some pics.

He said he used automotive trim removing tools and they worked well and did not damage the plastic, that if you are lucky the old rubber just falls apart and is not difficult . 

Hey Josh, I bought the tools you spoke of but haven't been able to get the end piece off.  Did he say exactly how he used them? BTW, you are in my home town growing up.

5 hours ago, jimk23 said:

Hey Josh, I bought the tools you spoke of but haven't been able to get the end piece off.  Did he say exactly how he used them? BTW, you are in my home town growing up.

He did not go into detail. I’ll ping him again and see if he can give more details.