WTS (C&R) Transferable Colt Thompson 1921/28 Navy Overstamp Machine Gun

panhead57

***PRICE REDUCED*** This C&R classified Colt/Auto-Ordnance Model 1928 Navy Thompson Submachine Gun was manufactured in 1921 and is listed by serial number in Gordon Herigstad's "Colt Thompson Submachine Gun Serial Numbers & Histories" as being shipped to the Great Bend, Kansas Police Department on 34. (It is interesting to note that on April 29, 1934, Bonnie and Clyde stole the V-8 Ford Deluxe automobile they would eventually die in from the driveway of Jesse and Ruth Warren in Topeka, Kansas. Maybe the Great Bend Police Department ordered this Thompson as a result of Bonnie and Clyde’s crime sprees in Kansas.  Who knows?

Based on research using Tom Davis Jr.'s book, “An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun” for reference, this gun appears to be all correct for its serial number range and 100% Colt.  It has the smaller, first style, Cutts compensator with no trademarks or patent markings. The gun has the following Colt 1928 internal components: (1) a 1928 first style, 2-piece, teardrop weighted actuator, (2) a long one-piece pilot rod, (3) a small diameter recoil spring, and (4) red fiber recoil buffer. The bronze Blish lock is correctly not stamped with sub-contract marks. The original Colt/AO bolt is a bright finish with a round recess in the back and no manufacturer mark. The gun has the original finned barrel and folding leaf rear sight marked: "MADE BY “LYMAN” MIDDLEFIELD, CONN. U.S.A." on the base. The internal components on the trigger frame and stock are finished bright.

The front of the detachable stock is stamped with the small anchor symbol used by the stock-maker, Remington Arms. There is a small, but stable crack in the front of the stock. The forearm and pistol grip are original Colt/AO components, with the grip mounted correctly under the 21st barrel fin. The ejector, magazine release, firing lever, and safety are all early Colt/AO components. The left side of the trigger frame has the second style "FULL/AUTO", "SINGLE" and "FIRE-SAFE" markings with horizontal arrows pointing to the front and rear as found on most Colt/AO Model 1928 guns. In addition to the model markings and the serial number "NO 8686", the left side of the receiver is roll-stamped: "THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN/CALIBRE .45 AUTOMATIC COLT CARTRIDGE/MANUFACTURED BY/COLT'S PATENT FIRE ARMS MFG. CO./HARTFORD, CONN., U.S.A." in five lines below the rear sight. The right side of the receiver is roll-stamped: "AUTO-ORDNANCE CORPORATION./NEW YORK. U.S.A." in two lines followed by the six-line block of patent dates. An encircled "JHB" monogram utilized by Auto-Ordnance inspector John Barrett is lightly stamped ahead of the patent marking. The top of the receiver has the actuator slot with a rounded front end and is roll-stamped with the distinctive Thompson "Bullet" trademark with “Trade” above and “Mark” below. The bottom of the trigger frame is stamped with the serial number "NO 8686". The trigger frame and receiver serial numbers match.

The following items are included in the package sales price (1) one minty Gordon Herigstad Viola/Thompson Case - Serial No. 145, (2) one used WWII Seymour L-Drum, (3) one lightly used Auto Ord repro C-Drum, (4) one lightly used Crosby repro L-Drum from the first batch of 200 new L-Drums imported from Taiwan in 2006 - marked "The Crosby Co." on one side and "Thompson Submachine Gun" on the other,  (5) Two stick mags, and (6) the following WWII shooter parts should the buyer want to shoot this Thompson without risking wear or possible damage to the increasingly rare and valuable Colt parts: actuator, bolt, blish lock, buffer pilot & spring, breech oiler, buttstock with sling swivels, rear grip, and horizontal front grip.

The package price is $48,500. Without the Herigstad Viola case, the extra WWII internal parts, and the extra WWII wood furniture, the price is $46,000. Price includes 1st transfer stamp and insured shipping via USPS registered mail. Will consider a 50/50 deal (50% payment up front, with the other 50% due when the transfer to the buyer is approved).

Please send a PM with any questions or request for more pictures.

The gun is on a Form 4 in Houston, Texas, and is classified as a Curio & Relic under firearm law 27 CFR 478.11, however, it is still subject to the provisions of 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53, the National Firearms Act.  ***NO RETURNS ON CLASSIII/NFA ITEMS***

For information purposes, the last paper Form 4 from an individual to a dealer I did was submitted on 12/19/2023, approved on 02/16/2024, and received in the mail on 02/24/2024.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG_5645_zpsuue8hxtxX.jpg

IMG_5719_zpszepopmbh.jpg

IMG_5646_zpsrtgwjzlo.jpg

IMG_5649_zps2nkyrrum.jpg

IMG_5880_zpsswoz7kvv.jpg

IMG_6330_zpsbl872lfm.jpg

spacer.png

Thompson_1928-1.jpeg

Thompson_1928-4_m722G4bf1WjY4AgCDxTXfN.jIMG_5636_zpsln7y3gsp.jpg

IMG_5635_zps2qupqesb.jpg

IMG_5881_zpsplaad0bf.jpg

IMG_5639_zpsc6sdimen.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG_6175_zpsnhlr5c2a.jpg

IMG_6179_zpsj5oooyf0.jpg

IMG_6180_zpsxrggcvr1.jpg

spacer.png

IMG_5642_zpsnv2eipnt.jpg

IMG_5883_zpsydmngpex.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG_6188_zpsvruyymuw.jpg

IMG_5985_zpshel1ouk5.jpg

IMG_5989_zpsswhafagk.jpg

IMG_5783_zpsayh3ky55.jpg

1928_-Wood_2.jpg

1928_-_Stock_Anchor_4.jpg

IMG_5788_zpsz3jdzppp.jpg

IMG_6266_zpswrkmcj1x.jpg

IMG_6053_zpslgdpf9c8.jpg

40_-_Colt_8686_-_PB_fz2cT3kTvNqt9QPeQ5Xs

COLT_THOMPSON_8686_FOIA.jpg

COLT_THOMPSON_8686_FOIA_-_1985.jpg

Edited by panhead57
Reduce Price

3 Drum Mags Included

-----------------------

1. WWII - Seymour Products Co. L-Drum - used condition

2. Crosby Repro - L-Drum - lightly used condition

3. Auto Ordnance Repro - C-Drum - lightly used

The repro C-Drum is marked "Auto Ordnance Corp., New York, USA" and has a Thompson Bullet Logo on it.  I'm not sure if it was made by Numrich, West Hurley, or Khar.  The only drum ever tested was the Crosby repro drum and it ran great.

Edited by panhead57
Correct included drum description

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “detailed “.  If you are referring to the white highlighted markings, they were already like that when I purchased the gun years ago.  I think they filled them in with a white lacquer stick.

Edited by panhead57

I found the following WWII 1928 parts in my stash that will be included in the sale to enable the buyer to shoot the gun without risking unnecessary wear and/or damage to the valuable original Colt parts:

1. Actuator (marked "S")

2. Bolt (marked "S")

3. Blish Lock

4. Buffer Pilot (marked "S") & Spring

5. Breech Oiler

6. Buttstock with sling swivels

7. Rear grip

8. Horizontal front grip 

The few times I shot this Thompson, I used the WWII internals and wood in order to protect the Colt parts.  It always ran flawlessly.

WWII - THOMPSON 1928 - SHOOTER PARTS.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

COLT 1928-2.jpg

Edited by panhead57
Correct description of included WWII parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To elaborate on my response to BloodyBucket28’s query (since I may have mistakenly assumed he was only asking about the metal finishes), the metal finishes are original, however, the  wood butt stock, grip and fore grip were cleaned using a rag soaked with acetone to remove the old linseed oil finish and grime, and then re-oiled with 3 coats of linseed oil. The wood was not sanded.

The procedure followed for cleaning and re-oiling the wood is the one outlined in Chapter 19 of Tom Davis Jr's book "An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun" which covers the subject of gunstock cleaning.

Edited by panhead57
Specify that wood was not sanded.

• panhead57 changed the title to WTS (C&R) Transferable Colt Thompson 1921/28 Navy Overstamp Machine Gun
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m drooling. This would be the perfect Thompson for me!

But 53k is a LOT for me! Not sure the Mrs will approve. And yes, it matters. It’s basically her money, even though she calls it “ours”. Long story.

Is this gun in a store where I could see it? I’m in Houston.