M2 Carbine parts in relation to FFL 7 SOT 2 manufacturers

Hello forum members! First post here.

I am a relatively new 07/02 manufacturer and have a question that I could not find a complete answer to upon searching the forums. If I have overlooked a specific thread, please forgive me.

I have read many of David Albert's posts on various forums and what I can find usually relates to normal NFA firearm possession and not SOT manufacturer NFA firearm possession. The wealth of knowledge he has written is overwhelming. I have also read the ATF guide books, but may be overlooking something there too.

Cutting to the chase, as an 07/02, is it lawful for our business to possess a "pre" unregistered set of 7 M2 Carbine parts? What I have read seems to say no, but I remain unsure. Where these parts would be obtained seems to be greatest part of concern since they should have been destroyed after the registration period ended and are not legal to possess anyway. 

In the same vein, can an individual surrender these parts to a 07/02 for serialization or registration instead of surrendering them to the ATF for destruction? Form 2 lists reactivation, but I can't imagine that applies in this instance.

Secondly, and the more likely option, is new manufacture of these parts and normal form 2 registration. Do blueprints of these parts exist? I have not begun to dig deep enough there to have any information.

Forgive my beginner inexperience and thank you for any assistance provided!

David

Seeing as the parts are not tracked in any way, and AFAIK legal when not combined together, I would make a solid bet that if a 07/02 collected all 7 parts, they could file a form 2 for the group as a "full auto conversion" and engrave their info on the set. This is one of the rare occasions I think you could accomplish this without having to do any machining, except maybe removing the disconnector on an old open bolt semi

The M1/M2 Carbine is almost unique in that it does not require any machining in order to be converted to full auto. Fully automatic function is accomplished by the addition of seven parts and the modification/substitution of three parts.

The seven deadly parts, which constitute a machine gun conversion kit when they are combined, are: 

• Selector
  • Selector spring
  • Trip lever
  • Hammer
  • Disconnector
  • Disconnector spring
  • Disconnector plunger

The parts that need to be modified/substituted are:

• Stock
  • Trigger housing
  • Sear

The three parts that do not need to be modified/substituted can be used on an M1 Carbine, so they are okay, depending on your individual state laws.

I think the best way for an 07/02 to register a post sample M2 Carbine would be to acquire and register a trip lever or selector. Once the registration was done, the other M2 specific parts could be acquired, and you would not be in possession of an unregistered machine gun at any time. Better to be safe and legal than sorry.

Just the opinion of a layman who is not an 07/02 or a legal professional. 

-KristopherH

ETA: An "M2" marked receiver is also considered a machine gun at all times, regardless of if it has the M2 specific parts or not. 

Edited by MontanaRenegade86
  • Like 1

Its very frustrating trying to navigate through atf rules that aren't set in stone.

Here's a start for reference material;

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-atf-p-53208/download

Then you have the "Determination Letters." 

These letters are sometimes in direct conflict with the rules and make you shake your head in fustration..lol

I'll try to find a web link.

I was a 07/SOT but now am just a 01/SOT thanks ITAR .My examiner told Me You don't register a new F/A  tell it is done and the last weld cools.

What I did was to engrave the M2 trigger housing on the guard so it was visible, I had all the parts in it but did not test tell after I sent the form 2 that afternoon.

You can also engrave the other F/A as stated by KRISTOPHERH 

Roy