Amnesty registered m1(m2) recorded wrong?

RedRum

Hi all,

Im a new SOT. I’m thinking about purchasing a m1(m2) carbine from a friend who has owned it for many years. Im told it was amnesty registered. The concern that I have is that on his form4 the gun is registered as an Underwood. The gun has an Underwood bbl but it is clearly a Winchester receiver (readable under the rear sight). Is there a way to get this changed once I have the gun In my possession, or is it even worth opening this can of worms? I know that this gun was probably a later conversion being it is still stamped m1. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedRum said:

Hi all,

Im a new SOT. I’m thinking about purchasing a m1(m2) carbine from a friend who has owned it for many years. Im told it was amnesty registered. The concern that I have is that on his form4 the gun is registered as an Underwood. The gun has an Underwood bbl but it is clearly a Winchester receiver (readable under the rear sight). Is there a way to get this changed once I have the gun In my possession, or is it even worth opening this can of worms? I know that this gun was probably a later conversion being it is still stamped m1. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!!

Does your friend have the original Amnesty Registration Form 4467? It may shed light on the situation.

Other than price, there is not a bit of difference between a transferable M2 Carbine and an Amnesty Registered C&R M2 Carbine. 

I, personally, would not pay a premium on a C&R M2 that didn't have all the relevant documentation included in the sale. That's just me.

As far as manufacturer goes, I'd leave it as it is on the registration Form. 

In Liberty,

KristopherH

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

It's not uncommon to have amnesty-registered guns with wrong or missing information on the forms.  The amnesty in 1968 was poorly advertised and enacted in a hurry, so a lot of people with limited knowledge about guns were filing paperwork in haste.  

The way to properly correct this is to submit a letter along with the form 4 explaining the error and detailing the correct information.  This should be accompanied by photos documenting your claim.  They don't have to be 8x11 color glossies, but they should show the pertinent details, such as the serial number, the actual manufacturer's markings, and the barrel markings that probably led to the error.  I would reluctantly consider driving the rear sight off the receiver so the manufacturer's markings are clearly visible.

You should also send copies of the 4467 if possible and the form 4 that the carbine is currently owned on.  With luck, BATF won't lose the whole package and the wrong information will be corrected.