please help identify what i have here. thanks

I have a strange weapon here. guy I got it from said he was told it was to test barrels, but im almost positive it was for testing ammunition. he said it came out of springfield armory and was used during world war 2.

the markings on it are as follows.

SA NO/30

RIFLE ACCURACY

CAL 50 D45968

JM3

SA 15323

D3549

SA-42

3048F.

also appears to be a couple of flaming bombs or something very similar to that stamped on it.

the receiver is battleship grey, and the barrel is a dark bluish gray.  it has the heaviest barrel I have ever seen on a fifty. the barrel is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and about 36 inches long top to bottom. the rifling in it looks like it was made yesterday. you fire it by sliding a cartridge into the bolt shell holder and locking it in the receiver. you then cock the gun by pulling back on a lever that has a hole in it to put a pull string. you then pull the string or just flip the lever.  I have fired it, and it works great.

I want to build a half scale howitzer out of it, but not if it has a lot of monetary or historical value. so, what do I have and any value?

thanks.    2ln97a1.jpg2isxh11.jpg25rkv20.jpg2r4n7k6.jpg

As long as your mini howitzer project is all parts swaps and it can be returned to original I don't see where any historical or collector value would be lost when re configured,

Heck, desirability and fun factor might be increased as a mini howitzer. 

The RKI's on such things will have better informed opinion on this.

I really want a mini howitzer, but after researching these, from what I read there were only 2 of these in 50bmg made? I am thinking it is extremely scarce. They made less than 100   in 30-03,308, and 22 hornet. 

If I built the howitzer with it, I would dura- coat everything to matching color. I wish I knew a value, as that would make my mind up. Thanks. 

KIRK, GREAT FIND, I believe it to be  the MANN acc tester also. I had seen one in some book years ago, I believe it was from the Herc. powder plant?   value is TOUGH!   it positively has historical significance as its an original WWII date etc.  I would not hesitate to make your howitzer if you can do it without any permanent alterations. maybe clamp all the additions instead of any welding . when finished you could clean everything well and hit it with an epoxy paint that could be removed. I did something like that to a odd ball 8 gauge kiln gun. and later sold it to a guy that put it back to original.  VALUE?  never seen one for sale. ROCK ISLAND has a Remington 8 gauge MILL gun for breaking cast molds it was made in the 30's and is not near as rare as what you have. looks to operate with a sliding breech and a lever also. its in the feb auction and low start is just over $3k    GOOD JOB! I LOVE IT. mike todd

Thanks for the info Mike. I don't think I'm going to build my howitzer with it. I think I will use a lar grizzly 50 for it instead. Maybe I will give rock island a call and see what they think. I just hate seeing things of historical value destroyed, as once their gone their gone.  I just don't want to ruin it in the slightest bit by making something out of it. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

kirk, please let me know if you find anything else out about your artifact. I try to stay up with info on anything that comes my way so I can pass it on to the new folks.  have data an some pretty strange stuff and there is always someone that needs to know.  by the way, I have a very compact breech ass for a 8 gauge. it has a fire pin and spring  but  there is an electric solenoid on the side, very robust ! a bolt lifts up and at the end of travel the breech pivots to the left. while the breech enters the start of the chamber area, the only lock is when the bolt sets in a recess at the bottom. I imagined a sleeve and maybe a 45/70 chamber??  thanx for sharing this with us!   mike

JUST A TIDBIT of additional info for anyone that may have had interest in this thread. the Remington kiln gun that was on the ROCK ISLAND auction today , sorry I missed recording the lot # it was in the 6500 lot area, hammered at an astounding $10,000.00 plus prem!  kiln guns are not that rare and many are still in use today, I would imagine. every company that makes china products from clay would need something. they use trains to move carts in the kiln and if the operator isn't smooth they will fall off and block the carts. no way can they shut down the heat, it takes too long to get back, so the just shoot the item to pieces and move the carts forward. several company's did change to 30/30 lever guns due to the cost of 8 gauge industrial ammo . I watched a gent shoot several KOHLER toilets that fell of the cart in the early 80's with a pre 64 win 30/30 but don't know if the insurance giants still put up with that?  SO it looks like KIRKS find is much more special than first thought? ITS GOVT ARSENAL MARKED, WWII DATED, what else is needed?  now I want one! (sigh)  cheers mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for the additional info. I called rock island for their opinion, but they were having an auction, so couldn't return my call. Hopefully Monday. I just want it to go to a collector or museum where it won't be destroyed. I haven't been able to find any other  info on it. I will keep you posted. Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...