DD's in NC???

Kevin Bartlett

I know that North Carolina got a bit friendlier towards NFA a couple of years ago.  I live in NC, have 3 C&R machine guns and have my C&R license... nothing more.  Can I as an individual file a Form 1 to build a DD or would I be wasting my time?  I'm considering a miniature wheeled field piece in 20mm.  I've got too many projects already but I have a barrel and I have that itch.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin in NC

Thanks Josh.  I might as well give it a try.  I figure that the soon-to-be implemented no cleo signature policy coupled with the soon-to-be Clinton misadministration means that BATFE will be so overloaded that it will take several years for my form to be approved, if even then.  That should give me time to take care of some other projects in the meantime.

Best regards,

Kevin in NC

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Form 1 finally approved!  PENDING SINCE MAY 1981!!!!

Well, not really May 1981 but that's when I started to plan this project.  I reported to my first ship, an aircraft carrier, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, CVN-69 in Norfolk, VA.  We called it the "Ike."  I was 18 years old, had no clue about Form 1, Form 4, NFA, or any of that stuff but I saw the barrels of the M61 Vulcans on the A-7 Corsairs and F-14 Tomcats and thought to myself "I could do something with one of these barrels one day."  Fast forward many years and I have a lathe, milling machine, a shaper and the skills to use them.  I eventually got a 20mm barrel and no, I didn't steal it from the hangar bay of the Ike.  3 years ago I bought some acreage where I can shoot something like this.  Also in those years I got 3 C&R machine guns but this is my first Form 1 and first DD.  My plan is to build a mini field piece resembling the Whitworth breechloader of the Civil War.  I mailed the Form 1 August 8th, check cashed August 15th, approved October 18th, received in the mail October 25th.  Examiner AMEDWARDS.  I never bothered ATF with questions and they never bothered me.   I had plenty of other projects to keep me busy anyway.   And now my '62 Panhead project will be put on the back burner yet again.

Kevin in NC