WRT to SBR's are there any that are not SBRs that have short barrels?

daninnm

Saw an Auto Ord .45 M28A1 semi for sale with the correct looking (but short 11"0 THompson barrel.  The receiver was marked Auto-Ordnance and semiautomatic.

How does the SBR reg work.  

Is a regular receiver with a dummy barrel still an SBR (e.g. using the analogy for MGs where it is the receiver that is the MG, not the barrel)?

Could you own a A-O receiver that is fully functional and a dummy 45 cal barrel and not have it be an SBR if you don't own the short barrel?

Curious!!!!

Yes, you can own a dummy short barrel and not have a SBR.  Uzi used to sell theirs with a short dummy barrel and legal 16" carbine barrel.  Make sure not to have a short barrel near by or it may be considered constructive possession.  Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Your correct there regarding the Uzi. I have a preban full sized uzi original model A configuration. I purchased it from the original owner back in 1989. He even gave me his original receipt from when he bought it back I think 1985. And yes it's semi-auto version. He gave me a big box full of spare parts and it also contained a short 10 inch barrel. I was worried about getting caught and being  charged with an unregistered AOW so I ended up taking the barrel with me to a gun show and I managed to sell it there.

I still have the UZI though and I've never had to use any of the spare parts. 

Yes its perfectly legal to have a dummy barrel that is short and a receiver it fits in. It is most definitely not like the machineguns in that the receiver of a Short barreled rifle is not registered, the assembly is. The serial number is required by law to be on the receiver and this is found on the forms because they require a serial number so many think that the receiver is the registered part. It is not the case. The regs have a definition section which defines each catagory. For machineguns the receiver or conversion device are defined to be the registered part. For SBR and SBS the length of the barrel and existence of a shoulder stock(ever) define the NFA firearm. So if you don't have a short barrel (actual useable barrel) than you don't have a short barreled rifle. DD's are also defined as having a bore diameter of larger than .50 cal so a DD is not a registered receiver either, its a combination of a bore of larger than 50 cal on the receiver. Lots of misinformation and internet myth about these especially with comparison to machineguns. 

Frank