Red Flag Customer Questions (dealer input please)

John Rolin Browning

While answering questions about the function and necessity of an AR15 front gas block by a customer over the phone, he got very agitated and defensive accusing me of not wanting to sell him an AR15 due to him having an accent. All I had told him was that if he didn't know what the A2 style FGB/front sight was for, then perhaps he should take some time to educate himself (google it) and then call us back. He later gathered his composure, apologized and said he'd check that out along with some of the other firearms available on our web site and get back with us. After he had obviously digested the product information on our site, he emailed me the following question about our 7.62 x 39 AR15.

Would it be as easy to make this gun automatic as it is an AK47?

This guy doesn't know what a front gas block is for on an AR15 yet obviously knows that it is easy to convert an AK? And obviously has expressed the interest in / information on converting an AR15 from me, a licensed dealer. I am thinking that he should be reported to the ATF Criminal Investigative Branch. What say you Licensed Firearms Dealers? We do have responsibilities when it comes to incidents like this, I'd like to get some of our fellow FFL's input.
Edited by John Rolin Browning
info update

I believe ignoring this guy would be the easiest option.  I can only speak for myself.  I would notify law enforcement where he lives about his inquiry.  If it is a small community they may be able to instantly tell you if he is good to go or not.  This guy may just be completely oblivious to firearms and how they work.  I got the same letter as the rest of you dealers asking us to report suspicious activity of our potentional customers to law enforcement.  If this guy is just clueless then nothing will happen to him and he will just buy from another dealer after this is settled.  He should never know who reported him since law enforcement is not suppose to identify the reporting party.  I would not want to be the dealer that supplied a very bad person with tactical gear and then have him do very bad things to our friends and neighbors.  It is so sad that we have to spend time discussing this subject.  I almost tear up contemplating all this and knowing my two sons are going to inherit a world that is crumbling down around us.

Edited by J237
Spelling

Go with your gut.  If it were enough to set off my radar and make me worry about it, I'd be reaching out to either local LE or someone who could check on him.  I do have plenty of guys stopping by asking about full auto conversions, but most are dreaming or stupid, and laugh (or cry LOL) when you explain the rules (and cost).  This sounds like something else.  Worst case you piss off a customer you wouldn't have sold to anyway.  

1 hour ago, broadsword said:

Go with your gut.  If it were enough to set off my radar and make me worry about it, I'd be reaching out to either local LE or someone who could check on him.

I think this is solid advice, while not really an abnormal question in my experience, it's a situation where you have to make your best judgement call.  As previously stated, most of the time that question arises out of ignorance rather than any form of malicious intent and is resolved by simply explaining the rules with no other action necessary or warranted.  There are of course exceptions though and given the circumstances of the entire interaction I would err on the side of caution.

when you have senator's and presidential candidates  publically  make 10 times worse statements, how can one become unsure about how to handle someone like this?

remember, we "live this stuff" . there was a time in this country when one decided to  do something, they would take the time and spend some effort to get it right rather than depend on someone else to do it for them. i guess that was before we started feeding them and paying their rent??

protect yourself and ignore em is my 2 cents

Refuse to sell to him and get called a profiler.

Sell to him and he does something stupid, society places the blame on you and whoever made the AR.

Sell to him and he does something stupid and they find your question they get to blame you more.

Sell to him and there are never any issues and you make a little cash.

Seems the best option is to follow you gut and notify law enforcement or ignore and let him take his business elsewhere.  You could try a return email with the facts and see what response you get if you have time.  Maybe he'll educate himself and come back to you.  

Nobody should pull the profiling card if they are too slow to educate themselves on what thy are buying, who "sells the mags" and what ammo to use that's cheap.

I love where we are driving this country.

Still Hoping for Change....

Ron

On January 27, 2016 at 8:24 PM, J237 said:

I believe ignoring this guy would be the easiest option.  I can only speak for myself.  I would notify law enforcement where he lives about his inquiry.  If it is a small community they may be able to instantly tell you if he is good to go or not.  This guy may just be completely oblivious to firearms and how they work.  I got the same letter as the rest of you dealers asking us to report suspicious activity of our potentional customers to law enforcement.  If this guy is just clueless then nothing will happen to him and he will just buy from another dealer after this is settled.  He should never know who reported him since law enforcement is not suppose to identify the reporting party.  I would not want to be the dealer that supplied a very bad person with tactical gear and then have him do very bad things to our friends and neighbors.  It is so sad that we have to spend time discussing this subject.  I almost tear up contemplating all this and knowing my two sons are going to inherit a world that is crumbling down around us.

I agree. Report him to his local LE. Sounds suspicious.

I received (off line) FFL dealer input and all give the same advice. For all of you non dealers who gave input here, I thought it would be helpful to let you know a couple of things. FFLs report to ATF field agents not local law enforcement agencies. In this case the local LE has no authority to investigate since it could be a possible NFA violation, which falls under the jurisdiction of ATF Criminal Enforcement. Additionally, ATF field agents' responsibilities are mostly field operations such as FFL compliance inspections and new dealer interviews. ATF field offices have special agents who are Criminal Enforcement and those are the folks who would conduct investigations in cases like this, if reported.

As far as profiling, my policy is as follows: "Our firearms are available for purchase by eligible US citizens who can read, speak and comprehend the English Language. All other folks can buy elsewhere." We FFLs are permitted to transfer firearms to nonimmigrant aliens admitted to legally hunt, foreign diplomats, officials and LE, and permanent resident aliens (green card holders) Fortunately, we can also decline to sell and transfer firearms to anyone for no reason given whatsoever. So, there's no opportunity for pulling any "profiling card"

If you order a rifle from us, you'll have to have a live telephonic discussion about it first. We are not interested in shipping out as many rifles as we can to anyone clicking a box on a web site. I had a person who could not comprehend simple instructions which were emailed to them concerning current lead times, tell me recently, "That's ridiculous. What if S&W had a sales policy like that?" I told him that if he bought a rifle from S&W, he wouldn't be buying it from us now would he… It's my company and that's the way I have chosen to operate it.

Edited by John Rolin Browning
typo

I'm a dealer in CT, retired but working out of my house (class 01 FFL) You have the right to deny service to anyone (per the CT SP and the ATF), this was communicated to me as a single proprietorship in Connecticut. So, have I ever denied service, sure when I know that the individual is going to be a 'straw purchaser' or wants something that is illegal in CT. I happen to live in Newtown, and trust me, my A&D books were scrutinized by the ATF.  If I don't like the way you sound, I just tell the person that I just can't work with them and to find another dealer, and no, I have not profiled anyone - just make sure that it is 100% above board and legal.