WTK: current value REG.UZI bolt,cut w/slot

RON IN PA

• 2 weeks later...

Ron - I am reading between the lines here.  What you described above is a Registered Receiver with a Slot Cut Bolt.  The RRs' are normally higher than just a registered bolt; however, what you have is kinda an "abortion".  It is a "Semi-Auto Receiver" that has been modified to Full Auto with a slot cut bolt that will operate in the semi auto receiver that has the "blocking bar".  Your problem on caliber conversions is that you will have to have a machinist that will modify not only the Bolt to fit the Receiver, but the Barrel also...well, buy semi-auto barrels and have them cut to desired length, since it is a SMG.  The advantage is still that you have a RR, not a Registered Bolt.  Check your Form 4!

I think market on RR's, like a Group Industries is $14 to 16K.  If you had an Israel made Uzi pre 1968, then $18 to 22K.  Bolt Guns are $10 to 12K.  I would probably ask $14K for this gun and sell at $12K...if you have all the parts for the Registered Calibers, then I would hold out for the $14K.  Just my $.02.  Lonnie Joe

6 hours ago, lonniejt said:

Your problem on caliber conversions is that you will have to have a machinist that will modify not only the Bolt to fit the Receiver, but the Barrel also

Not that it is really pertinent to your question but this statement is misleading, slotting an uzi bolt without first making modifications that allow semi function would be creating a post sample MG.  In other words, you can't legally have several slotted bolts for one registered receiver gun even if it is registered in various calibers.  That's where the term "married" is generally applied, when assembled a slotted FA bolt in a RR gun is fine but if permanently separated both the bolt and receiver would be considered a MG.  Stranger yet, why would someone register a 9mm bolt in various calibers?  The multiple caliber registration issue for RR guns has come up several times lately on incoming uzis with ATF only approving paperwork that shows one caliber, it's current configuration.... so I would stick with 9mm for advertising purposes.  As mentioned above, the last couple registered slotted bolts I've seen for sale where also between 8-9k.  FWIW, I sold a transferable RR w/ slotted bolt on these boards a few months ago for 10.5k, that would probably be the high end for your bolt...work backwards from there. 

I am glad that you spoke up!  This raises "other" questions as I have had some experience with the ATF on this topic.  I have a GI RR Uzi originally registered in .22, 9MM, and .45.  The ATF asked me to pick a caliber of the current configuration...it was in "parts" with Caliber Conversions for .22, .357 Sig, 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.  Our agreement was since the gun was designed in 9MM, then that was "how" it was transferred and I could list the Caliber conversions in Item 4 h.  I think this whole ideology came from AR 15 lowers that were at one time by some Mfg's registered as "Multi Calibers"; hence, pick one caliber.

Now, I have two items.  An S&H HK Sear and a M2 Disconnector.  They are not married to a gun.  Both are "machineguns", but have by any definition "no caliber".  As you know, you can put them in several guns that do have specified calibers, but the two mentioned items are just "two pieces of metal defined by ATF as a machine gun".  Actually, the S&H Sear is registered in .22, 9MM, and .308.  But again, just a piece of metal!

I am sure that we all can agree on one thing...there are too many rules that may be specific for only one gun and they change from gun to gun.  There are no "cookie cutters" when it comes to machine guns.  M2 Carbines can be RRs, the disconnector, the selector, and the trigger housing can be a machine gun...other pieces and parts?

I am not advocating making post sample machine guns at all.  But if I had a RR Uzi with a slotted bolt...I could not make a "spare bolt" for the gun? 

22 hours ago, lonniejt said:

But if I had a RR Uzi with a slotted bolt...I could not make a "spare bolt" for the gun? 

No, it would be viewed as having an unregistered MG.

22 hours ago, lonniejt said:

The ATF asked me to pick a caliber of the current configuration...it was in "parts" with Caliber Conversions for .22, .357 Sig, 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.  Our agreement was since the gun was designed in 9MM, then that was "how" it was transferred and I could list the Caliber conversions in Item 4 h.  .

I'm aware of other dealers that have had recent successful transfers using 4h  for the additional calibers as you describe above.  I suspect this is largely depended on who ends up processing your paperwork, maybe some are more lenient than others but our examiner would not budge until the additional calibers were removed. 

In any case, I think they are trying to keep NFRTR as current as possible which would include verifying and updating the configuration/caliber of the gun in many cases.   I totally agree that there are too many variables to have one set of rules that would perfectly apply to all guns and that's probably a conversation for another thread but as far as slotting an UZI bolt goes, I wouldn't do it. 

Sorry to hijack your thread Ron, good luck with your sale....