Machine Gun Wait Times eForm 4

Welden3

I just bought my first machine gun at the beginning of the month, I lack experience with the whole process and have a question about wait times. It was shipped to my dealer, I filled out the eForm 4 transfer paperwork with my dealer and confirmed the in process status for my eForm 4. I was wondering, does the ATF have longer wait times for machine guns than suppressors? Or are all eForm 4's treated the same regardless of the item in question? I have seen lots of form 4's getting approved in record time, typically for suppressors, and am curious about a general time frame to expect.

Thanks,

Welden3

There are several threads on this and the same answer for them all-who the hell knows…there is no good answer other than it’s been submitted now forget about it until you get that email. The entire process is lacking any kind of basic commonality with time frames now. 

• Like 1

I can guarantee you 100% there no difference in wait time for an MG vs anything else. 

Mine was approved in 47 hours in early March of this year. That is the fastest I have ever had a Form 4 come back. From Credit card payment to MG in my hands it was only 17 days. Unreal. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Juggar said:

I can guarantee you 100% there no difference in wait time for an MG vs anything else. 

Mine was approved in 47 hours in early March of this year. That is the fastest I have ever had a Form 4 come back. From Credit card payment to MG in my hands it was only 17 days. Unreal. 

That’s not necessarily true. If a MG hasn’t transferred in many years, ATF typically reviews the gun’s original registration to ensure everything is still correct and nothing’s missing. Many times, they’ll also request pictures of the gun showing barrel length, overall length and serial number. This can add a substantial amount of time to the transfer whereas with a new suppressor or sbr, there is nothing to review except the original form 2 registration.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2024 at 10:35 AM, tommyboy said:

That’s not necessarily true. If a MG hasn’t transferred in many years, ATF typically reviews the gun’s original registration to ensure everything is still correct and nothing’s missing. Many times, they’ll also request pictures of the gun showing barrel length, overall length and serial number. This can add a substantial amount of time to the transfer whereas with a new suppressor or sbr, there is nothing to review except the original form 2 registration.

Thats very interesting, I was not aware of that aspect. In my case I guess the MG had a good enough transfer history such that it was processed like any other form 4. 

I think Individual vs Trust is still different, but I don't really know, I always file as an individual.  I just had a machine gun come back in 3 weeks.  I've had a few silencers about just the same amount of time.  My friend had a silencer approved in 41 hours at the same FFL.  No rhyme or reason, but I used to wait in some cases over a year for silencers, so lately it's been much faster.

UPDATE: Form four on SBR Cleared in 8 days.

Just did a transfer for a Individual customer (paid form 4's) of a Suppressor and a SBR.  Suppressor form 4 cleared in 5 days. SBR is not cleared yet.  Both items were sent on the same day via Eform.  The short answer is who the hell knows the rational to approve one and not the other.

David 

FFL/SOT in AZ

Edited by David Basha

• 2 weeks later...

Got my approval email yesterday, about 10 weeks after resubmission.  I say resubmission because the first denial, due to a clerical error in my trust name neither Silencer Shop nor I caught, came about 180 days in.  Went to pick up my MG yesterday.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:06 PM, Gaffshot said:

Can an individual do an eform form4 to a dealer in another state?  Or, what is the best/proper way to transfer it to an out of state sot dealer?

The only way is a paper form 4.  Fill out the first page and pay $200.  

Edited by bauerdb

Mine was approved in less than 2 days as well….(43hrs, 9mins)

Submitted eform at 12:50pm CST on 7 MAY.

Approval email received at 7:59am CST on 9 MAY.

I waited much longer for the transfer from the seller to my dealer. All in all, I like the eform system!

Well, I know from good old fashioned experience that there is absolutely no rhyme or reason when it comes to the BATF on processing forms, Via hand written paper forms or electronic Efile forms, Machineguns or Suppressors, The process is the same.

The simple fact is at the end of the day, THE EXAMINERS DO WHAT THEY WANT, Wether dragging it out or expediting it. I believe the general concensus will wholeheartedly agree with me on this. Kind Regards & best wishes, Stephen B