Brownells Colt M4 “Spares” and earliest version Colt M4 complete upper?

MFM

Since the pathetic brace ban is in effect (maybe temporarily) how does that affect the value and demand of these Colt lowers? The Brownells M4 Spares were a few hundred out of what must be tens of thousands of Colt receivers that could be assembled into a pistol legally. They transferred as “other” and if first assembled as a pistol they could then be a rifle-back and forth unlike any other Colts. This made them worth a premium and since so few were ever available is it still the case? Lower pics of M4 upper I purchased at WAC gun show mid 1990s. It’s the only one I have seen like it. The hand guards and charging handle are not original to it, but I think the shiny double heat shield one was. Also has std. M4 bbl. And I did a pin&weld gemtech hider to get it to 16”. Had std. A2 hider when new. Upper is Grey in color. Square C by ejection port, 4 on front of receiver. C marked carrier. Unfired with M4 hg. when I purchased. Will not be prying the Israeli railed hand guard off that took 4 hands and the hg. tool to install. Anyone know what its value and are these rare? Prototype or 1st. M4 upper? All others I have seen were A2 sights. It has been very accurate and reliable. M4 feed ramps nicely done also.

Edited by MFM
Add text

doesn't make them worth a premium IMO.

Probably worth less since pistols w/o braces are worthless.

most colt owners pay a premium for the name, the person that would want a colt sbr would do it with a rifle.

poor people that went the brace route would probably not spend the cash on these

Edited by taylorwso
  • Like 1

Would not a Colt collector prefer even demand a Colt if they were to have an AR pistol? I would think it unwise to SBR these “Spares” as no other Colt rifles or receivers can legally become a Pistol so of course you would use the common rifle to SBR. I’m betting the value is actually greater than I suspect. No idea on the exact quantity of these but I suspect they are pretty rare.

Edited by MFM

11 hours ago, MFM said:

Would not a Colt collector prefer even demand a Colt if they were to have an AR pistol? I would think it unwise to SBR these “Spares” as no other Colt rifles or receivers can legally become a Pistol so of course you would use the common rifle to SBR. I’m betting the value is actually greater than I suspect. No idea on the exact quantity of these but I suspect they are pretty rare.

most colt guys wants what the mil have.

a pistol colt is just a work around stupid laws, and as such it would be better to get a cheaper lower for a work around.

IMO

but im sure there are idiots that will pay 

Agreed that I also want a full auto 14” M4 that the constitution allows for. Stupid unconstitutional laws prevent it. So we work with what we have. All of our semis are “ work arounds” rifle or pistol. The Bruen decision should re-open the register of these since history before 86 is well known. Then we can have all the versions we really want.

Edited by MFM

• MFM changed the title to Brownells Colt M4 “Spares” and earliest version Colt M4 complete upper?
  • Buddy H locked this topic