First C&R Transferable: M1895 Colt-Browning Potato Digger or German MG08?

AC45VoPo

I am soon to enter the NFA world and make my first purchase: A C&R transferable machine gun. The two I have my sights set on are either an M1917 Marlin variant of the M1895 Colt-Browning "Potato Digger" on a tripod, or a German MG08 variant of the Maxim gun on a sled mount. Which would you spring for if you were in my position? I'm heavily leaning towards the MG08 for two reason: First, it can be readily field stripped and disassembled for cleaning and maintenance. Secondly, there are plenty of parts kits for spares should something break. I reached these two options as I set three parameters for my search:
1. An original C&R gun
2. A budget of $20k ($25k for the right package)
3. No subguns

Which would you go for? Any advice of what to look for when buying a German MG08? Thank you.

I had a couple Diggers-a Colt 1914 Commercial and a 1917 Marlin Rockwell gun.  I have shot MG08's and they are cool as well.  The biggest thing you have to consider is the cost of ownership-parts, ammo, and places to shoot them.  I loved the Diggers-BUT parts are hard to find and the belts are even harder.  Now that being said, a well stretched 1919 cloth belt works well and there isn't much on the Digger that can break (other than bolt parts) the guns are pretty robust.  I will say that moving them is a PAIN as tripod weighs over 50 pounds.  

• Like 1

LIke Got Uzi mentioned.. some of those things are heavy and a pain to setup. The two you chose I would say are a pain. Fun but nevertheless a pain to move. 

I use subguns way more than belt feds but I see you don't want a subgun. 

Possibly a 1919? I think that is in that price range but I could be wrong with all these price fluctuations.

Or possibly a F/A AR-15 variant might give you some options.. From shooting different uppers.. which includes things like the Razorback in 22LR and MCR belt fed.. though I prefer to shoot subs.. Cheaper, controllable and fun.

What ever you choose, be sure to study up on them and get spare parts.. and most of all enjoy it.

• Like 1