United States Postal Service claims...

I filed a claim for a stolen gun (insured at 5K).   Original claim and 2 appeals were all denied, including the postage amount.   The gun was eventually recovered (slightly damaged) and shipped fedex.  At a point I was considering legal options, but from research, that seemed to involve the federal court system and attorneys didn't seem too interested in getting involved?  Since there is no federal small claims system you'd have to go all in.  There is a LOT to consider (risk/reward) when shipping various items.   Some carriers bind you in arbitration as well, as a condition of services.

• Thanks 1

I had 2 priority mail boxes lost/stolen from Florida to Wash. state for my grandsons it never left the twilight zone in Tampa called Ybor city. Took 6 months and multiple complaints to USPS but I was eventually made whole. The insurance is a scam for most things especially high value items unless you use "registered mail" which takes a long time but is managed by each person who handles it is responsible. Cost is the biggest downside but probably worth it considering a large claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unlike others i have had two small claims paid out. One for $25 and another (to gunbroker seller) for $600. Took a bit of time, 4 plus weeks each. 

The GB product was a broken rifle stock which was returned to us after the claim. 

That said, I would only use registered mail for anything of value. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, Mrlandmd said:

Yes! Lost one package of ammo, reported never got a response or follow up. Just lost several hundred dollars worth of goods!

Shipping of ammo by USPS is not permitted, so you probably should have let that one go without a fight.  

• Like 2