How is this legal?

Heineken

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/986712691

Seller says it's a registered sear.  But then it's also a swing down lower, and in pics you can see it doesn't appear to have a shelf and looks like a double push pin receiver...wouldent that make the upper an illegal MG?  Or is somehow the sear married to the gun and he is not disclosing?  I'm confused on this one.

I messaged the seller and here is the reply:  (FYI I am not an expert but I thought a swing-down lower had to be a RR, or the sear married to the receiver)

"Hi, I've been a dealer for 12 years now and these are really rare.  As you know, it is highly sought after.  Needless to day tons of gunbroker emails.

No the sear is not married to the host.  For type of firearm it says: Machine gun Auto Sear. No Barrel length and no overall length or caliber.

Nothing in 4H (additional description).

Top notch gun and rare. Thanks"
Edited by shiklg

IIRC, Ralph at RDTS built and offered a similar type sear-host on a clone about 5-6 (maybe longer) years ago that was ATF approved. It had both a pushpin AND a shelf on the front, so a standard push-pin housing could not be used. Kind of a hybrid. Many were wary at the time, but again, IIRC, it had been approved prior to sale. FWIW, Ted 

Given the limited information, I would then assume that the actual pack was a SEF sear-pack (not a box, like a DLO) that was rebuilt to a AMBI, then placed in a specially modified housing that would fit onto the shelf/pin attachment points. Again, I know a pin is no-no, but didn't MKE or one of the other clone-makers offer a pin-shelf combo receiver a few years back.  IIRC, this was what modified and offered. I don't recall if it was on Sub-Guns, Sturm or GB....but I asked the exact same questions.......and that was the answer I was given.

It’s definitely a married host/sear gun. Ruben had one for sale about 2 years ago.

Vollmer did a handful of sear installs into hosts that they milled and drilled the front pushpin. ATF ruled that the hosts were themselves post-86 MGs once they had the front pushpin. Vollmer took a number of them and added the shelf back, but others had already been sold on the commercial market. ATF ruled that the hosts Vollmer returned to semiauto receiver status were still MGs. Vollmer sued ATF in Vollmer v. Higgins, and the court ruled in favor of Vollmer. That case killed the “once a MG, always a MG” rule, but ATF still holds it as the law of the land. 

I would place these married sear guns with front pushpin low on the desirability scale. They are a notch above the clip-on RR guns. Way below a registered sear, registered trigger box, and RR pushpin.

Edited by JoshNC

Great examples of NFA "history".  (I miss Dan's Raffica column & editorials in MGN and SAR). Always very interesting, as I was actively collecting T1 firearms in the 80's but not NFA.  IIRC, a real Colt AR-15 retailed for almost double a M-16, as everyone thought they were a PITA to manage the NFA, given the CLEO requirements at the time.  Twice as bad in Miami, as you had all the Colombian shenanigans' going on at the time.....a MAC in every Mercedes.  Then, later issues for Mr.'s Fleming, Vollmer, Merrill and others..... One of the things I loved about the Creek was chatting with guys who were active in those days....and hearing the stories. FWIW, Ted

• Like 1