Shooting older MGs

flgunguy

3 minutes ago, flgunguy said:

If the efile system ever approves me, I will have a MP43 probably a year from now. Should I feel bad or be cautious about shooting this? Just want to run a mag or two through it, clean it, and put it away.

no, shoot it as much as possible. 

I've never understood the don't shoot it crowd but then again I'm just a redneck mag dumper.

500 rounds ...for a decade? That'd be a weekend for me in an average -too nice to shoot collector gun.... and therefore why it's best I avoid them altogether I guess.

Cool gun. From ToneItUp I imagine?- Heck of a batch of mgs he recently listed. He always gets the really interesting ones.

• Like 1

I got my Colt Thompson April first… by April second we’d put 1,000 rnds threw it. Enjoy your gun man you worked hard to get it… if you have no desire to shoot it an only want to look at one get a dummy gun built a save your self 30-40k! 

Edited by Thumpy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rhouston8 said:

I've never understood the don't shoot it crowd but then again I'm just a redneck mag dumper.

500 rounds ...for a decade? That'd be a weekend for me in an average -too nice to shoot collector gun.... and therefore why it's best I avoid them altogether I guess.

Cool gun. From ToneItUp I imagine?- Heck of a batch of mgs he recently listed. He always gets the really interesting ones.

I'll put 50 rounds through it to make sure it works, then maybe take my only local friend who is into that stuff to shoot it, and then yes probably won't shoot it again for a few years. Thomas yes, he got a good batch of MGs for sure, but I never considered this type of machine gun until seeing his, as it is one of the more special versions of these MP43/44s. 

There are other MGs to shoot that aren't WWII antiques. In the end it's all just a bunch of recoil, so I'll stick to shooting the Uzi and HK as it is way more pleasant. 

My Colt Thompson just had it's 102 birthday and I shoot it with some regularity.  (lately with the 22 conversion).  It was an oddity as a gun in mint / excellent condition but with an 8" barrel (much debate as to the providence of that).  So not a pure museum piece.  Any degradation in value from me shooting it (and other guns) will be between my kids and the auction house and I will not be in a position to care.

• Like 2