Getting the Thompson itch

flgunguy

First of all, I want to say thank you to this forum and its members for sharing so much knowledge and for the business I've done with the members here. 

I'd like to know from Thompson owners what models and other things to watch out for when purchasing a transferable. I'd like to skip the West Hurley models and get something with better investment value and something you can shoot some rounds with from time to time. Looking for a model that a drum magazine can fit in.

Drum -> 1921 or 1928 config models rather than M1 or M1A1 (these 2 only take sticks)

investment gun - 1921 as nice as you can find

shooting gun - WH 1928 that has visited PK (Diamond K) and rebuilt with a nos parts kit

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Thompsons in general, but for a shooter I’d not bother with the drums and open yourself up to military M1/M1A1s as well

Best of lu k in your search,

— Matt

I'd vote for an M1.  I had a partially upgraded WH28 that ran well but I much prefer the USGI M1 that replaced it.  It's simpler than a 28 and safer than an M1A1.  If you really need a drum (you will discover that you don't) Dan Block can modify a current Taiwanese to fit an unmodified M1

1 hour ago, flgunguy said:

I have nothing against the BRP guns they are definitely the best choice for those who really want to shoot, but I'll mostly just be buying for investment purposes to add something new to my collection.

If it’s for a investment buy a colt.

• Like 1

Colt 1927 might make an interesting investment as well.  Significantly more rare than a Colt 21 (essentially the same gun).

Very good advise above wrt reduced complexity & reliability of the M1/M1A1.  But in the end these are just toys, if you want a 1921/1928 get what <<you>> think is cool looking and fun!

Edited by mattnh

I have both a M1a1 and a 28 both military guns made by Savage. Personally I like shooting the M1 better.  
As for the investment part of the equation I would think the price you pay is going to determine the quality of the investment more than the maker of the gun. Buy low sell high

Thumpy is giving you the best advice. Spend a few hundred bucks on Thompson reference books. There are many Thompsons out there that are cobbled together. What you spend on reference books can save you thousands and thousands of dollars.

46 minutes ago, Thumpy said:

Buy a few books on the colt Thompson an really study what correct colt parts look like. Lot of fake colts parts out there an shooter grade guns getting passed off as mint in my opinion.

I would also say don't buy a MG as an "investment". These are just expensive toys. MGs can be outlawed, the registry frozen, transfers could begin to take years to transfer, etc. Remember, no one "needs" a MG. We just "want" them. Buy because you like it. And ask yourself  this would you feel the same way about it if it were worthless tomorrow??? Don't spend money on MGs you can't afford to lose.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Schmeisser Guy said:

I would also say don't buy a MG as an "investment". These are just expensive toys. MGs can be outlawed, the registry frozen, transfers could begin to take years to transfer, etc. Remember, no one "needs" a MG. We just "want" them. Buy because you like it. And ask yourself  this would you feel the same way about it if it were worthless tomorrow??? Don't spend money on MGs you can't afford to lose.

I agree those are risks but I'd rather have the MG than the cash losing value over time. It's a risk I'm willing to take especially because these MGs are so iconic.

I don't feel like it is a risk losing cash over time. I doubt they will be banned and I doubt the legalization of MG.. Though I would be happy to lose value if it is due to legalized. 

Any case I'm happy of what I invested so far. More for the shooting than the collecting. 

The one thing to keep in mind about "investments" as far as MG's go...original guns will hold their value even if there was something to happen.  There are only so many left and guys will still want the real ones, not a "modern reproduction"

The other thing to consider when you refer to these as "investments" is that word is exactly why the market is so screwed up at this point.  Everyone is wanting to hide money in an MG.  While I don't argue that point persay, it does inflate the market to the point where regular guys won't be able to afford the price of admission due to big money guys driving the prices up....same guys who most likely won't ever shoot them, only want something to show off to their friends..."hey look at what I have"

Just something to keep in mind.  I have sold off much of my personal NFA collection as I didn't want to have over 1/4 mil in MG's sitting around.  While its cool, its a PITA to insure unless you get a specialty policy.  Also something to keep in mind...

On 3/25/2023 at 1:26 PM, Schmeisser Guy said:

I wouldn’t recommend buying an MG for an investment aswell but for the opposite reasons. @flgunguy

The goal should always be for Hughes to be overturned. There’s a reasonable  chance it may go in the next decade or so as 2A jurisprudence develops and if we can get another conservative justice on scotus without loosing a seat. (The senate is normally slanted towards republicans which means we can block democratic appointments even if we don’t have the white house at the time). 

As it currently stands SBR’s are likely on life support over the next 5-10 years as ATF fucked up saying the braced pistols are SBR’s. 

It’s one thing if you want the gun to shoot/or because of the history.

But if you want an investment put your money in a high interest savings account or the S&P 500.

30 Years ago the majority of the country was either May or no issue on CCW.

Today 26 states have constitutional carry, and the other 24 are shall issue.

Edited by duza9999

I honestly think a colt Thompson wouldn’t lose any value if 922(o) was repealed truthfully it’s a historic gun/ American iconic. M16s would tank m10s would tank (insert a lot of other guns) but I think a colt Thompson wouldn’t change it’s still a 1921 colt Thompson. Just my opinion 

Edited by Thumpy

I have a Bridgport M1,  WWII gun.  I enjoy the military history much more than the gangster history so this was the way to go for me.  Depends on what you like.  Nothing wrong with a WH if you get it under 20k.  but you can probably get an M1 for 25k or so.  Just my opinions.  Good luck.

I'll watch how the auctions go on Morphy in April, they have a few Thompsons. Need to do much more research before buying. Not concerned about the machine gun ban being repealed, have enough cash at risk in the market and pre-ban rifles and machine guns have become my safe investment. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:26 PM, Schmeisser Guy said:

As for investments, I can think of plenty of things that are a lot worse!!!!

I like the 1928's and 1921's better than the M1. IMO, shouldering a M1 doesn't feel natural because of the stock design, and keeping a short burst on target is more of a challenge. Drum magazines have never given me a problem at the range, but I guess it depends on condition and maintenance.

I have never seen or owned an unfired 1921, so taking them out on occasion to shoot, is not a crime. I can't name a sub gun I enjoy more!