For Sale: Pre-68 Transferrable HK Factory built G-3 $70,500 OBO

5T1K1054

This rifle is in excellent condition for a rifle imported roughly 58 years ago.  Rare often gets overused, but this is a very rare bird as a select-fire German factory built transferrable rifle. 

Imported as part of the Harrington and Richardson partnership with Heckler and Koch to take part in military trials, a small amount were kept in the H&R museum.  When H&R closed their doors, these rifles were sold off from their museum.  I have only seen one other ever offered for sale.  The others are all in private hands moving quietly from one to another. 

I was not going to sell this one, but things change.  It’s been in my family since 1992 when we purchased it from Birmingham Pistol Wholesale after seeing it at the now defunct Knob Creek Show.  I fired it once in 1992 before leaving for the Army and it has sat unfired since.  I remember it shot fine on auto but as a scrawny 150 pound 17-year-old who was used to 9mm SMG recoil you can imagine how well that went!  I remember firing three rounds and the first round left a level barrel, the second left at 45°, and the third at 60°!  Suffice to say, that was it for me!  Well, it got cleaned and stored and I left a few weeks later for basic.  The rifle eventually passed on to me and I had every intent to keep it and pass it on to one of my kids myself.  Life has changed, and now it is up for sale for the truly discerning HK collector who values factory original “as-built” rifles like I do. 

I had a dealer ask where the manufacturer markings are.  It’s a pre-68- there AREN’T any!  It’s provenance comes from the Form info, the dates on the bolt and bolt carrier, and the unique build that ties these pieces together.  I did speak with Frank Iannamico many years ago about these.  He knew a collector with several of these rifles who had more provenance connecting these to H&R.

The keen-eyed will notice similarities to the HK T223 used by the Seals in Vietnam, another product supplied by Harrington and Richardson.  You see some non-typical build points shared with the T223 and other examples of this rifle (I have photos of an identical rifle with the same build characteristics further indicating for me this is a true factory-built rifle.  That rifle sold in 2011 and was the subject of discussion on HKPro.net at the time.

Compare this with the pictures of the T223 in the H&R manual hosted on Forgotten Weapons and you will notice the following similarities:

• Mid-point Bipod mount permanently affixed to the receiver around the trunnion. (FW T223 manual Fig 1)
  • Safe-SA-FA selector markings (FW T223 manual Fig 2)
  • Unique cocking handle angle shared with T223 (FW T223 manual Fig 4- zoom in to better see the angle and compare to my included photos of standard production semi-auto HK 91’s and 93’s from 1976)  you will note this charging handle is VERY UNIQUE.  It has a sleeve that fits over the bolt carrier which has been stepped down to fit this charging handle.  This unique combination reinforces the bolt carrier is original to the gun which reinforces this as a pre-68 import.
  • Bolt Carrier serrations to ensure positive closure. (FW T223 Manual Fig3)

This rifle has a 4 digit serial number which isn’t typical HK practice.  However, it is in sync with the other G-3’s I have seen or heard of.  It also is in sync with the T233 at the Springfield Armory museum which is recorded with a 4 digit serial of 0274 and the T223 in the National Museum of American history which is recorded with a 4 digit serial of 0272.

Questions?  Offers?  Reach out to me.  I sell on Gunbroker using the same username.  Plus there are a few guys here who I have done business with if you need references.  

NOTE: This weapon is a National Firearms Act (NFA), fully transferable Class 3, which is registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, (BATFE) under the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR part 478.

Be sure that you are qualified to own this weapon before paying. Refunds will not be issued due to inability to pass background checks or poor performance by the ATF. Be sure that you understand the transfer process. Payment is due in full before the transfer paperwork will be submitted to the ATF. Bank issued cashier's checks (or other certified payments) or wire transfers are accepted. I can talk about other payment methods if needed.   I will cover shipping costs if this sells at full asking price. All ATF rules regarding class 3 items apply and I will not ship to states that prohibit class 3 firearms. You are responsible for knowing your local laws. No firearm will be shipped until approval has been authorized.

Click the link below to view all pictures of this rifle.  Only a few are posted here.  Ask if you would like more:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoTqV6wp2b_5lG0RXJoIm9_PXnqB?e=zC2iXn

20180902_202226.jpg

20180902_202129.jpg

20180902_202103.jpg

20180902_201802.jpg

20180902_201823.jpg

20180902_202240.jpg

20180902_202330.jpg

20180902_202351.jpg

20180902_202505.jpg

20180902_202633.jpg

HK91.jpg

HK93.jpg

HR partnership_1.jpg

pg_0053_1.jpg

Edited by 5T1K1054
Price drop
  • Like 3

• 5T1K1054 changed the title to For Sale: Pre-68 Transferrable HK Factory built G-3 $85,500 OBO

I am aware of 2 similar samples--- 4639 (in Switzerland), and 4741 (pre-86 in the United States).

The first, HK-marked G3 that I am aware of is G3 HK 019201 over 9/60, with the “SEF” trigger pack housing.

I may have overlooked the picture(s)--- what are the markings on the bolt?

Tony

Edited by AGG

• 5T1K1054 changed the title to For Sale: Pre-68 Transferrable HK Factory built G-3 $75,500 OBO
  • 5T1K1054 changed the title to For Sale: Pre-68 Transferrable HK Factory built G-3 $70,500 OBO
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5T1K1054 changed the title to For Sale: Pre-68 Transferrable HK Factory built G-3 $65,500 OBO
  • 5T1K1054 changed the title to For Sale: Pre-68 Transferrable HK Factory built G-3 $70,500 OBO