S&W 76 bolt sells for 5k on GB!

Frank Iannamico

50 minutes ago, Navgunner said:

At these prices I’m tempted to start manufacturing bolts

If and when you decide to do so, I’ll gladly provide some of the initial funds to get you started.

Sears, trigger bars, and bolts are as rare as hen’s teeth. After a long time looking, I grabbed a bolt from Spiwak about a year ago. Couldn’t believe my good fortune and will probably never get that lucky again.

-KristopherH

• Like 1

@MontanaRenegade86

I really appreciate the support!  I’m good on funds as the bulk of the costs are the engineering resources & machine time, all of which I have direct access to. My Achilles heal would be quality sample parts and a study to determine real market interest / benchmark pricing to see if there’s enough interest to justify kicking off the project.

I recently did a run of 76 extractors where I quickly sold over 70. I could easily do more of those but I would need a bulk preorder before I started.   Peddling these parts one-at-a-time is miserable  

Aside: I recently traded my 76 to help finance a more expensive MG. I wish that I didn’t have to, but that’s the way it works sometimes. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Navgunner said:

At these prices I’m tempted to start manufacturing bolts

Parts have already been scanned and just waiting for a machine to free up outside of testing, so I wouldn't worth with it unless you want to compete with someone running a few dozen HAAS and additive metal machines.

Im not making them, someone I do consulting for. There is a laundry list of MG parts that no one can find from 76 to 93r and Stoner 63.

Edited by eMGunslinger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, eMGunslinger said:

Parts have already been scanned and just waiting for a machine to free up outside of testing, so I wouldn't worth with it unless you want to compete with someone running a few dozen HAAS and additive metal machines.

Im not making them, someone I do consulting for. There is a laundry list of MG parts that no one can find from 76 to 93r and Stoner 63.

This is fantastic news!  What a blessing! 

I’m a manufacturing engineer who specializes in rubber and plastic where I’m fortunate enough to serve some very large OEMs in the 2A space with most of my annual production runs being in the hundreds of thousands of units.  Personally, I have no interest in making a living as a job shop for these type of parts (unless there’s a void in the space and people have a real need for help because $5k for a bolt is just too much).

Any service to our NFA community (more specifically the transferable collector/shooter) is welcomed by many but essential to those needing parts.  

Bravo Zulu, @eMGunslinger!  Thank you!

When the timing is right, please let us know where we can purchase.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Navgunner said:

This is fantastic news!  What a blessing! 

I’m a manufacturing engineer who specializes in rubber and plastic where I’m fortunate enough to serve some very large OEMs in the 2A space with most of my annual production runs being in the hundreds of thousands of units.  Personally, I have no interest in making a living as a job shop for these type of parts (unless there’s a void in the space and people have a real need for help because $5k for a bolt is just too much).

Any service to our NFA community (more specifically the transferable collector/shooter) is welcomed by many but essential to those needing parts.  

Bravo Zulu, @eMGunslinger!  Thank you!

When the timing is right, please let us know where we can purchase.  Thanks!  

I will do my best, I try to say out of a lot of this stuff other than when I am selling guns and need parts that cant be found and either have to do weld ups or one offs. So been compiling lists of shit parts for over a decade now and anytime friends of mine want to get into production I offer advice on what to make for the community.

He has been informed of this post and was basically told to "Make stuff because people are waiting"

At the end of the day it really sucks to sell someone some of these guns and when they ask for spare stuff tell them there aren't any and to be cool about not abusing it.

I also have some feelers out on Reising mag production again. If I can get the dies done with ease, I will just go get an OBI and put it next to the other 20k sqft of machines and crap I have to do those lol.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Gaffshot said:

Why would you need an extra S&W 76 bolt?  Something commonly break on them?

It’s always nice to have a few extra parts of any of these guns never know if some law could effect the parts down the road.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 11:56 AM, Gaffshot said:

Why would you need an extra S&W 76 bolt?  Something commonly break on them?

I had the lower lip of the breechface on one of my MK760 bolts break off years ago.  Richard at BWE was able to repair it.  I was glad that I had a spare.  I’m really glad that I do now!

I keep spares for everything because you never know.  Cheap insurance.

Has anyone heard from Scott Andrey in recent years?   I think he used to be the go-to SW-76 parts guy years ago.  I don't know if he retired, died, or just decided to fade away.  I met him at a shoot years ago and he seemed like a good guy.  He let me shoot a couple of his guns... an Ingram and maybe a Port Said.  He mentioned that he might make a run of Jap 99 recoil springs and I was hoping to get a spare one from him.  Never heard from him again.  That was maybe 15 years ago.  His website seems to be frozen in 2013.  

Kevin in NC

Scott Andrey Machine (samachine.com)

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad I paid a little more for a Vector Uzi instead of trying to save a little by going with the SW-76.  Even though parts availability is apparently drying up compared to ten or twenty years ago, I've got enough set aside to build a couple more guns if I had the receivers, and you can still get pretty much anything you really need.