Pre-May Questions

komodoj

8 hours ago, komodoj said:

On almost all my Pre May form 3’s,4’s Yada, Yada it always says “Imported Nfa Item” how the hell does the atf or I know what it is? Besides a serial number or model of course.   Example below. 

Sometimes I just think they shake a magic 8ball and run with whatever it gives them.

That Madsen I sold you had COMPAGNIE MADSEN A/S listed in the manufacturer/importer box. I sent a email to the NFA branch trying to request they check the original importer docs as that barrel mark was pitted to hell and confirm that it was was Inter American and to update the registry as they would’ve been the importer.

But NFA said no, “If the forms currently reflect the original manufacturer information, that will not be changed to reflect the importers information. The original manufacturer info. is preferred on the registration and transfer forms.”

And too that effect, two suppressors I imported for a FFL had the original manufacturer listed on the form 3, rather than myself as the importer.

However I’ve also had a MPL premay’ go through my books with the “Imported NFA Firearm” in that box. If someone swapped the barrel in the which usually has the mark, how the hell are we supposed to record the importer in our books? 

You think that’s bad? I had a transferable M3 Grease Gun and on the original form under “manufacture” it stated “US CONTRACT SOURCE” how’s that one for a shot in the dark for figuring out who made it per the ATF records. 

I honestly think that’s why they’ve been working to clean it up is there was such a sloppy job of things in the past on both sides. 

Edited by Got Uzi
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, shiklg said:

I did a FOIA (freedom of information act) request for an NFA item, and all that was required was a serial number.

I'm jealous. I'm going on a year for my request. They kept asking for me to sign more forms, then haven't done anything....

19 hours ago, duza9999 said:

However I’ve also had a MPL premay’ go through my books with the “Imported NFA Firearm” in that box. If someone swapped the barrel in the which usually has the mark, how the hell are we supposed to record the importer in our books?

It took me FOREVER to find that importer mark.

Most of my pre-Mays are "Imported NFA Firearm" & good luck getting them updated. Record what's on the steel in your bound book. If it's not on the steel...and you know it's imported...I don't know what you can put.

On 2/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, komodoj said:

On almost all my Pre May form 3’s,4’s Yada, Yada it always says “Imported Nfa Item” how the hell does the atf or I know what it is? Besides a serial number or model of course.   Example below.

most of the time they dont.

They only really care about the manf/SN. I tried to change things on incorrect forms, they wouldn't budge. Said they can't change it once its in the database.

Edited by taylorwso

2 hours ago, taylorwso said:

most of the time they dont.

They only really care about the manf/SN. I tried to change things on incorrect forms, they wouldn't budge. Said they can't change it once its in the database.

Four of my pre mays in the manufacture box says “Imported Nfa Item”. That can mean anything? 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, komodoj said:

9318A6CF-1C01-4194-BBCF-80EF4303B149.jpeg

For the sake of asking, does the form have a pre may or post may to determine if it is a pre or post sample with a "Imported NFA Firearm"?

15 minutes ago, Chasingprecision said:

For the sake of asking, does the form have a pre may or post may to determine if it is a pre or post sample with a "Imported NFA Firearm"?

It does not, a 1919 (M37) I won from morphy’s last year was advertised as a premay, however when they went to do the transfer, it turned out to be a post sample, was imported in 1989 :/

53 minutes ago, Chasingprecision said:

It should have a restriction at the bottom - both for a pre- and post- ... however, I've seen both that are not marked as such. If/when you go to transfer them, they will decline if the transferee is not eligible to receive.

2 hours ago, komodoj said:

Four of my pre mays in the manufacture box says “Imported Nfa Item”. That can mean anything? 

They were imported on Form 2s by FFL/SOTs for the most part. Look and see if you have an importer’s mark somewhere on the weapon. Most of the Pre May sales samples that have gone through our business, were imported by Inter American Import/Export Company out of Sacramento CA. There were a couple of others during that time frame. That’s what the Imported NFA Firearm means, NFA that was imported right after the 1968 Amnesty up to the May 19, 1986 post sample cut off. 

Sometimes the importer is listed. A FOIA request will give you the dates on the Form 2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thumpy said:

Honestly in my opinion the more errors on the registry the better. 

I agree.  A serial number of some type is all that should really be needed.  You pay the tax, WTF difference does it make if it's a M240 or M11?  As they say "once  a MG, always a MG"  who in gov. really cares what it is?   For some reason guys want to get into nuances and corrections?   You cannot correct/change any data in the registry, that actually would be a major violation of the NFA.  For now they make notations for existing owners, but on the next transfer it goes back to the way it was originally recorded (if they actually have that info).

Edited by johnsonlmg41

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 5:26 PM, duza9999 said:

It does not, a 1919 (M37) I won from morphy’s last year was advertised as a premay, however when they went to do the transfer, it turned out to be a post sample, was imported in 1989 :/

Are you sure it really was? Reason I ask if this has happened to me twice now on a pre may MG34 and a premay MP5 that came back to the sellers as post ... they had to argue it for quite some time and the ATF finally said.. oh yeah it IS a premay! (I guess the first person the seller dealt with had no idea what a premay was and said I needed a love letter