Form 4 returned for inaccurate weapon dimensions

Twoodworth

Bought a few transferables last year and they all came back approved today with the exception of 1 m1 thompson that was sent back for inaccurate weapon dimensions. Why would they do this? I copied the dimensions from the previous form 4 that was approved in back in 2000. The other thompson I bought with this batch was approved a 1921. The overall length on the previous approved form 4 for the m1 thompson was barrel length of 11" and over all length of 34".

I dont understand what was wrong. Can some one help me out with what I need to do to get this corrected.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Twoodworth

Hi All,

FWIW, in the last 4-5 years, ATF has been going back to the initial registration paperwork for information.  They don't seem to care what was on the previous transfer.  I've had many bounced.  I just make the corrections, send photos with measuring tapes, and the form is approved shortly.

Most interesting bounces came from some M1 Thompsons.  The Thompsons were Savage manufacture but came back with "International Armament Corporation."  Then I read the box on the form more closely.  It indicates "Manufacturer and/or Importer".  I guess Sam C. brought them home before '68 :).  Adds a bit to the history.

BTW, all my corrections were handled with the examiner via email and photos with measuring tape.  All my Form 4 paper transfers within the last 2 months have been right at a year.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

On my latest transfer, I got a letter from the ATF saying the barrel and overall length dimensions were wrong.  They wanted pictures with a tape measured showing the dimensions.  Pictures were sent and am still waiting on approval.  It will be 12 months in March since the initial paperwork was submitted.

Edited by BigBoy99
Typo!

Just received a rejection on a form 4 due to the serial number being wrong. When the gun was transferred to the owner in 1984 they conditionally approved it under the condition that the serial number was the year it was essentially the year it was manufactured (it's a DD BTW). Now, fifteen months later, they bounced it and are digging their heels in over the serial.

• Twoodworth changed the title to Form 4 returned for inaccurate weapon dimensions

its not disapproved yet, They gave me a response time to do it by or it will be disapproved. 

They also corrected and highlighted the barrel length to 10.5" and oal length to 32"

I guess what happened is back in 2000 when it was approved it had incorrect dimensions and was approved. Then when the seller moved to a new state in 2019 and notified atf. His form that was submitted had the correct dimensions on it. So when I submitted my form 4, I copied the information from the 2000 approved form 4 and should have used the information when he notified atf he was moving states. I wasn't aware when I submitted my form 4 that the dimensions changed from the original form with the tax stamp on it.

Just have to send some pictures in and hopfully it will be approved some time soon.

I had a similar situation about ten years ago involving a 1928. It had an OAL listed on the previous F4 as 23". I knew that was wrong, but it had been approved previously, and I didn't want to change anything, so left it as such on my submission, which came through in about 28 days(Really! Had a great examiner then.). I think it was maybe a year later, I got a call from a really nice lady that told me they were correcting the registry and noticed the error. I told her that I was aware of it, but that's how it was listed, so I just left it alone. I told her that I was puzzled by it, too, and the only thing I could come up with was that maybe it was measured with the stock detached. I measured it while we were on the phone, gave her the correct measurement, and that took care of it. 

Did transfer for one of my 25mm Puteaux AT cannons and ATF "REFUSED" to approve the form 4 transfer saying it was not 25mm but 37mm.

Puteaux NEVER produced a 25mm wheeled  field AT cannon in 37mm.

One of the idiots at ATF that had absolutely no knowledge of military weaponry,looked up Puteaux cannons online and saw the Puteaux 37mm twin barrel anti-aircraft cannon and assumed that was what I had, regardless of what the form 4 indicated.

Total morons.

I sent these idiots a pic with a 37mm shell and 25mm Puteaux shell next to the existing barrel on my cannon.

DUH!

Of course they never called to apologize for their arrogance and blatant stupidity, also holding up my transfer for an additional 6 months!

ATF must be defunded , then abolished.

ATF is  totally out of control and way beyond their original stated mission.

Write you senators and congressman to put forward more bills like Matt Gaetz proposed, ABOLISHING ATF!

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

Don't forget it.

R.L.