WTK what’s the value of a SWD lightning link these days?

duza9999

I have never seen an S&H registered lightning link.  Probably 99% of them are SWD manufactured and I have seen one maybe two original Max Atchison manufactured and registered units.  If it is really an S&H "Lightning Link" I would personally be a bit suspicious and would call Curtis to confirm if he made it.

If it really is a SWD unit than I would say the value is between $16,000 to $20,000 depending upon condition with a broken and rewelded up unit being on the low end and a like new unit being on the high end.  I would think most of them that are used but still in good condition without a lot of wear are probably $18K to $19K range at this point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jbntex said:

I have never seen an S&H registered lightning link.  Probably 99% of them are SWD manufactured and I have seen one maybe two original Max Atchison manufactured and registered units.  If it is really an S&H "Lightning Link" I would personally be a bit suspicious and would call Curtis to confirm if he made it.

If it really is a SWD unit than I would say the value is between $16,000 to $20,000 depending upon condition with a broken and rewelded up unit being on the low end and a like new unit being on the high end.  I would think most of them that are used but still in good condition without a lot of wear are probably $18K to $19K range at this point.

I’m retarded I meant SWD. I’ll correct the title now

• duza9999 changed the title to WTK what’s the value of a SWD lightning link these days?

I have facilitated 4 last 6 months.  Low 19.5 high 21.5 but new still I'm origional swd plastic.

Private quick sale 19 to 20

The few I've seen out there are a little high but below 20 move I'm few days if not day of posting.

I make new paddles for them.  Also can repair broken ears amd have several host options they are very versatile and with a kns protector pretty durable.

I specalize in links so if you need anything let me know.

Or if your selling let me know.

John ciszek

07sot 

770 365 1423

Also for what it is worth I have spoken to Wayne before covid  in 19 or so. I have a good deal.of info on the history production etc of the lightning link.   Fyi he did sell some as what today we would call a kit today but then in the day you could register. (Probably blanks with no sn, just my.opinion ;).  He also did sell a few before the ruling so there are some privately registered ones.  People who registered a pre ruling one or a kit before expiration of the ban.

Other than the Atchison one referenced above I have seen 2 that had individual names as the maker.  They were exact copies of swd less stamped swd marking.  Links we're stamped out if the same metal as a swd.  However the maker markings were horrible and looked like a idiot with a rotary dremmel even worse than swd electro penciled sn. 

I did a repair on it so I  actually had it analyzed vs known swd link so cpuld make sure I had the right rod for the repair.  They were the exact same metal alloy which is no longer manufactured.  So used the standard rod I use for swd ear repair.   

I'm surprised that the value difference between a Lightning Link and a Drop In Auto Sear is so significant.  

$20K to $21K for a Lightning Link versus $50K + for a DIAS.  

In a lot of ways a Lightning Link is better.  It drops right in the lower and completely replicates the M16's rate of fire.  Plus you don't have to worry about leaving M16 parts in a lower like you do with a DIAS when you move the DIAS to a different lower receiver.  Both of them usually need the same amount adjusting to get them to work in a new gun, and no need to switch out AR15 parts for M16 parts.  If you want select fire, you can get a parts kit that provides select fire.  I'm sure most trigger time with either Lightning Link or DIAS is in full auto anyway.  

I know people are concerned about a Lightning Link being more fragile and prone to breaking, but that fear should have ended years ago with the KNS Lightning Link Re-Enforcer.  I've never heard of a Lightning Link breaking with a KNS Re-Enforcer in place.  

I know that you can't shoot .22 LR with a Lightning Link.  But, it's not that great in an M16 and not worth the $30K price difference.   You could pick up the best full auto .22, a Norrell Trigger Pack, a Lightning Link, and still end up paying less than a DIAS.

I just don't get the huge preference for a DIAS over a Lightning Link. 

Edited by AZAtty480

I would also agree.  I have two SWD RLLs and two M16 Registered Receivers and no RDIAS.  As mentioned the pros are that you can swap a RLL between different hosts in a matter of seconds.  The downside is that prepping hosts can take more work as you will most likely have to mill a bolt carrier, relieve the lower's pocket so it doesn't bind,  and or set up a 0-1-A fire control group if you want  semi-auto.

RLLs seem to take a bad rap but if properly set up so they don't bind in the receiver and with a protector on them,  I have run untold tens of thousands of round through mine without issue.

I kinda wish I had bought a 3rd one when they were still sitting sub $10K for many years.