Tax stamp help

beltfeedm60

If I want to take my tranferable M16A1 and put a 11.5 inch upper on it do I have to pay for another tax stamp and SBR it. If I keep it that way and travel with it, is there anything I have to do or tell the ATF. If i dont want to keep it that way but just want to go back and forth do i have to do anything? And in the future if I sell it do I have to put it back as a 20 rifle again before I can sell it? I just want to learn the right way of doing things. Thank you, Semper Fi

I would say keep the upper for when you want to sell it so your paperwork would match. You can fill out forms to update the configuration.. but I wouldn't bother. 

As Spartan mentioned, Machinegun trumps.. meaning that you can put a short barrel on it legally since the machine gun trumps over SBRs.

BTW another reason why you want to keep that upper.. is so you can sell it as a M16A1. Having a 11.5" sold with it likely won't reduce the amount you can sell it for.. but it might appeal to less people who want original stuff. IMHO.

1 minute ago, beltfeedm60 said:

Thank you both for the lesson and advise. It take a life time it seems to finally get to a place a guy can afford these things. I want to do everything right. 

Semper Fi. 

If you do make a change that is permanent like changing the color and configuration of an M60 from M60 standard  to a M60 E6 what is it you would do and what forms would I want to fill out RYO?

5 hours ago, beltfeedm60 said:

If you do make a change that is permanent like changing the color and configuration of an M60 from M60 standard  to a M60 E6 what is it you would do and what forms would I want to fill out RYO?

The ATF doesnt care. Color doesn't matter, configuration doesn't either (e4/e6, etc).

Barrel length/OAL could be argued that is changed but since its a QD barrel its never permanent.

Basically write a letter with all the info, email to the nfa.fax. Doubt they will update the nfa database since its impossible, unless they made the mistake.