semi M2HB's and .50 BMG opinion and rant

Hi, this is my opinion and rant on semi M2HB's and firearms that shoot the .50 BMG round.  I'm sure there are some that may disagree but I'm ok with that as well being wrong.  The older I get the more I realize what I don't know.  However, here is my gut feeling on their future.  I have sold them for 11 years so while I don't consider myself an expert I do have a lot of experience dealing with them over this time.

What's going on with M2's today

The availability of M2HB's along with M3 tripods is dwindling away.  You may know that Ohio Ordnance Works started selling them in January of this year.  I've sold a number of their guns. Their M2-SLR is in my opinion hands down the best quality M2 ever made for the civilian market.  They are still making them but the price for 2023 has increased almost $1,000!  Unfortunately, Cartel runners are busier than they have ever been trying to get their hands on these guns to take them across the border into Mexico.  If a person contacts me from a border state and fits a certain profile, there is a 75%  or greater chance that they are running guns for the Cartel.  I sold one earlier this year that was seized by the BATFE and the buyer admitted to running numerous guns across the border.  A few months ago, I had two investigators contact me about another sale I made previously this year. I mention this to inform you that if you have a semi M2, be very careful if you decide to sell it.

The government doesn't like "us" having this kind of firepower and I believe it's only a matter of time before they figure out a way to stop the manufacture and sale of them.  I speak to ATF agents on a regular basis and they are keenly aware of the firepower the M2 offers and the fact that it's a Title I gun, no NFA registration is currently required.  The government has a long record of "banning" certain types of weapons and I strongly believe that the M2 and / or .50 BMG ammo will eventually be banned or restricted in one way or another. 

I hear what your saying but I wouldn’t stop making these an making money if I was you. lol the atf seems to be running quite a bit of guns down to the cartels them selfs any way. I’ve heard stories about guys who sell a ar15 they had for years then randomly get a call about it getting found in Mexico things like this happen as long as the demand for drugs and a open border exists there will be wars to the south of us an gunrunners doing what they do.  If our government wants to ban 50 cal they will ban it regardless of if your selling the 50’s or not… continue making your money I’m sure there is a nice mark up on guns of that price. 

• Like 1

Well….I can tell you that part of the reason the M2-SLR is going up is due to material costs. That and the other reason they aren’t making M2-SLR’s now and won’t be for awhile is the fact they have an order for 1,100 M2’s for Ukraine. So if you want one, better buy it if you can find it.

I’ve noticed how they have disappeared off the market in the past couple months and I’ve decided to keep mine. I don’t shoot mine a lot, but I have a decent amount of ammo and I’m sitting good with my gun now that it’s been redone by OOW due to bad parts. 

Im selling an Armalite AR50A1 rifle and I’ve questioned who, what, when and where it’s going. I’m trying to be extra cautious with its sale, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

A semi auto m2hb is a pretty sorry source of firepower for most applications, especially cartels who are always on the move.  Bolt .50 cal AR uppers would be the choice of cheap transportable firepower, and as we know those got "regulated" fairly recently, but of course those regulations are meaningless and not prohibitive to those who have bad intentions.  The semi portable guns are great choices as well.  Fairly concealable, fast setup, good range.  If any M2HB's are going over they are for ranches/ permanent placement I'm told.

1100 guns is a pretty small order and with that small  production order, costs will rise since you can't buy parts in quantity.  I wouldn't put OOW's guns above any other since they all follow the same specs and use the same parts, so other than riveting the box, which isn't all that great of a method for combat use in general, theirs would be like any other? 

As to the concerns of atf, well when the executive and legislative branches decided to go into business with the cartels supplying endless amounts of human and chinese fentanyl trafficking and all of the associated stuff that goes with it, this is just an off shoot of that.  It's a choice, not actually a problem.  People at the polls thought it was a good idea as well?  Choose to close the border and all of it goes away.  The same choice was made when some people negotiated to go to war in Ukraine with obvious kickbacks and corruption tied to the Biden crime family. 

OOW is but one bit player benefiting from 100 billion democrat slush fund. Good for them, hopefully their parts orders go up and costs come down with more volume which may benefit us longer term, just not this year. If the market and money were that great for semi M2's others will pop up to fill the void just like OOW did when they were in the low 20's the year before.  I had one listed here a couple months ago with limited interest at a price less than OOW?

I sold a huge pick up truck to the cartels several years ago.  Paid full price, cash, no questions asked.  I had a couple local tire kickers who couldn't drum up financing, hemmed and hawed.  I suspect this is the same reasons the politicians like the cartels, they pay full price and in cash vs. waiting for people on this board to make political investments in their future?  You want to keep guns, you better make in investment in time or money and buy your own politicians?  That's how it's always worked.

• Like 1

My guess would be that they are taking them and converting them to full autos….it all depends on how bad they wanted something. 

Funny how the cartels are damn near the same as our Gov’t….pay for what they want, use what they want, plus by their own rules, and do as they wish. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 10:19 PM, Got Uzi said:

Well….I can tell you that part of the reason the M2-SLR is going up is due to material costs. That and the other reason they aren’t making M2-SLR’s now and won’t be for awhile is the fact they have an order for 1,100 M2’s for Ukraine. So if you want one, better buy it if you can find it.

I’ve noticed how they have disappeared off the market in the past couple months and I’ve decided to keep mine. I don’t shoot mine a lot, but I have a decent amount of ammo and I’m sitting good with my gun now that it’s been redone by OOW due to bad parts. 

Im selling an Armalite AR50A1 rifle and I’ve questioned who, what, when and where it’s going. I’m trying to be extra cautious with its sale, but it is what it is. 

I've heard that rumor that OOW is sending guns to Ukraine.  Per Craig Haas at OOW, it's not true.

On 12/25/2022 at 6:48 AM, johnsonlmg41 said:

A semi auto m2hb is a pretty sorry source of firepower for most applications, especially cartels who are always on the move. 

dude they are running technicals and shooting a helos, a semi in the back of truck vs other light armor is devastating even more so when they convert it, which they do since its easy..

They might start as semis but a f/a bolt milled and its a easy f/a setup.