December Brace ban?

Scouting

I was told a few months back they where going todo an amnesty where you just fill out a paper an send it in an continue as normal but truthfully it sounds like they are going to make people submit fingerprints photos pictures of the gun etcetc at this point every day I just pray either God comes back to save us from this shit hole or Russia nukes the shit out of us lmfaoooo either way it would be an improvement on how much of a failure our nation is becoming.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with that floated idea is ATF lack of authority to waive the $200 tax. 

Don't think that is going to happen. 

Easier to dream that Congress passes and the President signs a bill to repeal NFA applicability to suppressors, SBR & SBS.

Impossible to dream repeal of MG tax and the screwing over we got in 1986.

17 hours ago, ctyatty said:

The problem with that floated idea is ATF lack of authority to waive the $200 tax. 

Easier to dream that Congress passes and the President signs a bill to repeal NFA applicability to suppressors, SBR & SBS.

How was the irs able to waive it in 1968? 

On 12/26/2022 at 4:45 AM, ctyatty said:

They have no authority to collect it, so waiving it is less of a problem.  It's been done before with streetsweepers, etc. 

If they can barely process the NFA items they have now, how are they going to process all these braces? And, that's what I think the point is. Its Gun Control by delay delay delay plain and simple. I thought the registration tax i.e., $200 was going to be waived because it was an "amnesty". Them calling it an amnesty is B.S., an Amnesty indicates we were breaking the law, but if we come into compliance we will forgiven. Uh, pistol braces were legal per numerous ATF opinion letters until they just wrote law--which they can't do--and changed their minds. Not a lawyer, but I believe we cannot sue to challenge the rule change until there is a party that will suffer harm, so we have to wait until the rule/LAW comes into effect. Really dumb on their part, typical Feds, because it opens a challenge to the gun control acts of '34, '68' and '86 and the NFA is a house of cards. We should all apply via paperwork so their floor collapses again.

Basically from what I've read online from places like Bearing Arms and NRA

Incoming House Judiciary chair puts Dettelbach, ATF on notice
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/11/30/incoming-house-judiciary-chair-puts-dettelbach-atf-on-notice-n64819
Nov 30, 2022 – record requests and demands for information about the ATF's new and pending rules on unserialized firearms and pistol stabilizing braces … Jordan also objects to a new ATF policy that classifies “stabilizing braces” intended to allow disabled shooters to better control … Jordan says Congress hasn’t “criminalized the use of a pistol arm-stabilizing brace” under the Gun Control Act of 1968, or allowed…

ATF pistol brace final rule possibly uncovered via budget document
https://bearingarms.com/john-petrolino/2022/09/05/atf-pistol…ace-final-rule-possibly-uncovered-via-budget-document-n62120
Sep 5, 2022 – Currently, there are at least four million braced pistols in the United States. … The subject of the arm braces has been kicked around for quite awhile. … This obsession with arm braces seems to have possibly come from these anti-freedom groups.…

ATF Plans to Finalize Pistol Brace Rule in January
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2023
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20230104/atf-plans-to-finalize-pistol-brace-rule-in-january

In a recent court filing, the Department of Justice claimed that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) “expects to publish a final rule in January 2023.” That rule is the Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces” which was first proposed by the agency in June 2021. And, is the most recent in a long line of ATF guidance, rulings, and rules regarding firearms with attached stabilizing braces....

Biden Administration Continues Push to Target Firearms with Attached Stabilizing Braces
MONDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2022
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20221212/biden-administration-continues-push-to-target-firearms-with-attached-stabilizing-braces

It seems like we have been warning about the Biden Administration’s intent to reclassify handguns equipped with braces intended to help disabled veteran shooters for quite some time.

There were once signs that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) intended to get out of the practice of making confusing regulations—including those involving stabilizing braces—that appeared to circumvent the authority of Congress to actually define and pass laws regarding firearms. But with Biden’s election in 2020, a reinvigorated faction within ATF began a push to re-examine stabilizing braces. NRA immediately took notice, and put out a call to action....

I highly suggest that you get the app, Feedly. Its basically a RSS Feed reader that delivers news from multiple sources, automatically when new content from your sources are released, in one clean UI. It's great and I've been using it for over 10 years. 

Feedly is a news aggregator application for various web browsers and mobile devices running iOS and Android. It is also available as a cloud-based service. It compiles news feeds from a variety of online sources for the user to customize and share with others.

Add these sources:

AmmoLand Shooting Sports
Bearing Arms
Concealed Nation
Forgotten Weapons
Military Arms Channel
NRA-ILA News
Recoil
The Firearms Blog
The Truth About Guns.

IMG_5765_COMPRESSED.JPG

IMG_5764_COMPRESSED.JPG

So the arm braces were approved by the ATF when they first were manufactured almost 10 years ago... and now all of a sudden arm braces make a pistol a rifle.

What a pile of steamy dog-shit!

WTF PART of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" do these pencil neck liberal goobers not understand?

I'm hoping the GOA files suit immediately to vacate this garbage.

R.L.

actually no.  If it's a pistol you don't have to do anything.   From the atf website:

This rule does not affect “stabilizing braces” that are objectively designed and intended as a “stabilizing brace” for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. However, if the firearm with the “stabilizing brace” is a short-barreled rifle, it needs to be registered within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

If the firearm is classified as a rifle with a short barrel, it needs to be registered......as a short barreled rifle....because it is a rifle....with a short barrel.  If it's a pistol that doesn't seem to be the case?   Essentially nothing has really changed other than some people are now on notice that they have rifle receivers with short barrels on them, and put them up to their shoulder with a stock they refer to as a "brace" because they were led to believe they could.  Now they are on notice that they cannot, but are being given a gift of free registration. 

What we have here is a marketing campaign where some people thought they could have SBR's without having to register them, and an agency that let it go on for quite a while for some reason?  Incompetence or were they allowing these people to be baited into the registration system? 

Most everything I've heard so far only mentions AR pistols.

Not a word about AK pistols. Or maybe I just missed it.

Draco's, Pap 85's and Pap92's ALL originated as pistols from the manufacturers with barrel lengths from 6-10".

How does this new "pistol brace" b.s. apply to these?

Or does it?

Century Arms sold an arm brace for these AK based pistols, with a copy of the APPROVAL letter from ATF indicating they had been approved for use with such models?

Thanks,

R.L.

So 120 days from Jan 13? If you have a brace on a pistol that has a barrel under 16 inches automatically it is considered a SBR? If I want to keep it on the pistol it must be registered or change the barrel to 16 inches. If the brace is on a rifle receiver it better have a 16 inch or greater in length? Basically the brace is considered a stock now.If I don’t register and don’t change the barrel to 16, I have to modify the brace so it can’t be installed on my pistol again?? Now the normal gun guy has to be a MFG. What a bunch of crap. It’s definitely about control. So if I regulate those who comply it keeps the public more safe? The ones who will comply are not the ones you need to worry about. 

One more thought. If I ever planned to register it there would be no need for a brace. Now it’s not a choice. It’s a requirement. Why would they not just make it part of the background check process or some easier way than waiting more than a year to get approvals? Aww, they don’t want to make it easy for us. Answering my own questions. 

You seem to forget-SB Tactical only had a couple compliant “braces” and the ones they sold the most of-honey badger style and SBA3 did not have approval letters and let’s face….those braces were STOCKS. Just a work around a law on the books for decades and people thought they’d be cute and now are pissed as they got called out on it.   Also remember that a real AR “pistol” buffer tube is fully round. If you want to keep your AR pistol then take off the carbine/rifle buffer tube and put on a fully round one. It’s not that complicated. 

A “normal guy” is his own MFG when it comes to a Form 1 so nothing changed there. All that is changing is the fact that going forward after 120 days is that there will be a pile of people dumping guns or changing them out to rifle spec. That or a bunch of people who will try and sell NFA items and have no clue how the regs work for that. 

Edited by Got Uzi

I expect in 60 days ATF is going to be flooded with Form 1 assuming they keep with the amnesty thing.

Buddy of mine made a funny question which was do you get a tax stamp if you don't pay for anything. 

I still need to catch up and read up on this stuff. Admittedly the brace was a loophole.. But they approved it. Not surprising ATF flip flopping. 

On 1/14/2023 at 6:32 PM, R.L. said:

Most everything I've heard so far only mentions AR pistols.

Not a word about AK pistols. Or maybe I just missed it.

Draco's, Pap 85's and Pap92's ALL originated as pistols from the manufacturers with barrel lengths from 6-10".

How does this new "pistol brace" b.s. apply to these?

Or does it?

Century Arms sold an arm brace for these AK based pistols, with a copy of the APPROVAL letter from ATF indicating they had been approved for use with such models?

Thanks,

R.L.

Any Braces.. Doesn't matter if it was on a Glock or some other firearm. I'm wondering if you had a CAA kit for the Glock.. Can you register it on a Form 1.  

Also didn't read anything yet about needing to engrave your "pistol" but I'm assuming you have to do that since that is the normal process. 

I think it would be wise for all to WAIT before acting on the tax stamp "doggy treat".

Many suits are being prepared, some already filed.

F-ATF , they need to be defunded or abolished all together.

By skiving off fellow shooters from the pack by getting you to agree to MORE of their illegal law making, you legitimize this unconstitutional behavior.

They offer b.s. choices with the objective of dividing and conquering LEGAL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.

It's is the tactic they love to employ.

Don't buy into their crap.

We MUST stand united and fight these jackboot thugs together.

R.L.