Jump to content

USPS flat rate box increase...


R.L.
 Share

Recommended Posts

According to my local post master, prices have gone up temporarily on flat rate boxes during the Christmas holiday. Price Increase's to come back down on 12/26.

THEN USPS is raising it's prices permanently on first class mall, flat rate boxes and probably everything else they can up charge you for after the first of the year.

 

 

Merry Christmas/Happy New year

From the Biden Crime Family!!!

 

 

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fairness, the President and Congress do not set postal rate - that is done by the Postal Regulatory Commission.  

Currently is is 2 Republicans (appointed by Trump), 2 Democrats (1 Biden and 1 Obama appointee) and the last seat was just filled by a Biden Appointee, awaiting Senate approval - who is a Republican.

 BTW the Chairman (Democrat) was twice approved by the Senate with a unanimous vote.  

When this temporary rate increase was approved, the board was also 3R and 2D

Also, the Post Office has temporarily raised rates during holiday times in 2019, 2020, 2021.  So this is not a new thing - it is to cover increased costs.

At least the Post office has not taken anti-gun measures like the recent ones enacted by the 2 big private shippers (brown and purple)

Personally, I have had the best service and the fewest problems shipping guns with USPS versus the competition.

In any case, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

 

Edited by shiklg
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, shiklg said:

In fairness, the President and Congress do not set postal rate - that is done by the Postal Regulatory Commission.  

Currently is is 2 Republicans (appointed by Trump), 2 Democrats (1 Biden and 1 Obama appointee) and the last seat was just filled by a Biden Appointee, awaiting Senate approval - who is a Republican.

 BTW the Chairman (Democrat) was twice approved by the Senate with a unanimous vote.  

When this temporary rate increase was approved, the board was also 3R and 2D

Also, the Post Office has temporarily raised rates during holiday times in 2019, 2020, 2021.  So this is not a new thing - it is to cover increased costs.

At least the Post office has not taken anti-gun measures like the recent ones enacted by the 2 big private shippers (brown and purple)

Personally, I have had the best service and the fewest problems shipping guns with USPS versus the competition.

In any case, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

 

I love this post!!! I don't know why people go after USPS, they are a super solid courier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USPS has been my go to for most things. Prices have been most of the time lower with their flat rate boxes vs UPS/FedEx. Only exception is UPS/FedEx is cheaper on heavy, your own packaging boxes.

I recommend using PirateShip.com. If you ship Priority Mail, they discount that surcharge that USPS is charging for the season. They also offer good prices on first class padded packaging (your own packaging). However first class I believe they do not discount the surcharge.

I have a buddy in the shipping business and even he says their company has a hard time to compete against PirateShip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure there are USPO workers on the board, and by no means do I wish to offend....however rate increases are not new to the USPS, and IMO rate increases are indicative of a problem which runs far deeper than a rate increase.

Tell me one year the USPS was able to work with the budget it was allocated by Congress, without asking for hundreds of millions more for their next budget?

I have immediate family that have worked for the USPS for decades. In supervisory and clerk positions. I've heard all the stories of wasteful spending, carelessness and inept, unqualified employees from the inside., It's real, it does exist.

This has been going on for decades at the USPS, and the only course of taken action in all these years has been to throw more TAXPAYER money at a bad business model.

In the private sector when you don't produce, can't get to work on time, throw your work in the trash.....you get fired. Not so much at USPS.

Fast forward. In my business we spent a lot of time on drilling projects in USPS bmc's. (We were actually at the Brentwood, Md BMC the day of the anthrax mailing). I saw first hand the things which I had been told about years before with my own eyes.

We did work at the post master generals personal office at L'Enfant Plaza D.C. The waste of tax payer $$$ there, you would have to see as I did ,to believe how bad it was.

As a past business owner, after seeing this type of systemic wastefulness...yea I have a problem with constant escalating prices for goods and services delivered to the US public.....using OUR tax money. Who wouldn't?

Just my .02 cents.

 

R.L.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The postal service receives NO direct taxpayer money / it is funded by postage sales. The fed does pay for mailing gov items. The budget attempts to balance revenue with expense & it does so while serving EVERYONE. UPS & FEDEX charges different secret rates depending on volume, etc, the Postal Service is generally GREAT.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not so fast...half truth. Your statement came from the American Postal Workers Union. Not all USPS operating funds come from sales of stamps and services.

When the USPS operates in a deficit for the the year The US treasury allows USPS to "borrow" $$$ from the US treasury to make up the deficit.

Is that taxpayer money possibly? HMM?

In addition. the USPS has an accounting rule which specifies that US postal workers Health benefits be paid up 75 years IN ADVANCE!

In addition to the operating deficit, when USPS health funds run low, the US treasury again...allows the USPS to "borrow" money from the US Treasury.

Wouldn't that be nice for someone to pay my health benefits 75 years in advance?

 

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Not that it matters to those of us who are generally happy with the value & quality of USPS service ... nor does it matter that like any large organization there are screw off employees ....

The enabling legislation requires USPS to fully fund future health care & retirement for employees / a good move so that it does not build up big future unfunded liabilities. So some years it has a surplus of current revenue over current expenses / some years a deficit. The "loans" of which you speak are a cash flow issue. Again, there is NO direct taxpayer funding of USPS. Also, USPS has for decades used many private contractors to move mail between BMC - star route contractors, airlines, railroads, UPS, Fedex etc. This is not a complaint - an observation about operational efficiencies - a good thing to keep mailing rates from being higher than they would otherwise be.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Even my beloved DHL from Europe screwed up last week. Delivered my parcel to a neighbor. I have had Fedex & UPS packages disappear. One offs don't prove a point.

For high value: use registered mail - never lost - except maybe when a PO worker ends up in clubfed. It is spot on.

Story from back in the 50's: the Hope Diamond was registered mailed.

Edited by ctyatty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sent out payment to a couple guys and they checks bounced around for over a week. All USPS could tell me was “well you must have labeled them wrong and the machines are reading the address wrong”

 

This was the same post office that has left two SMG’s on my door step and two different carriers have signed for my name to them…when I wasn’t home. Registered doesn’t always mean it’s done correctly….the OIG’s office got involved and there were major ass chewing for people there.   

396BE417-BAD2-4781-8E8B-880424433717.jpeg

0F2A397F-0152-48D7-8C69-C6164CDA262E.jpeg

Edited by Got Uzi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, shiklg said:

Just read on the other thread that UPS and FedEX will no longer ship NFA items.

waiting for confirmation....

This is true.  I had a conversation with our Fed Ex rep about a month ago and they're getting away from shipping all firearms.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2022 at 8:00 AM, Got Uzi said:

I sent out payment to a couple guys and they checks bounced around for over a week. All USPS could tell me was “well you must have labeled them wrong and the machines are reading the address wrong”

 

This was the same post office that has left two SMG’s on my door step and two different carriers have signed for my name to them…when I wasn’t home. Registered doesn’t always mean it’s done correctly….the OIG’s office got involved and there were major ass chewing for people there.   

396BE417-BAD2-4781-8E8B-880424433717.jpeg

0F2A397F-0152-48D7-8C69-C6164CDA262E.jpeg

This reminds me of our Fed Ex here.   Every package from Silencer Shop goes to Chicago, then St. Louis, then Cincinatti, then back to Indianapolis.   UPS is the only company that works at all for us since we're rural, but they deny insurance when you file a claim.   Seems you can't get any good companies these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 2:30 AM, Ryo said:

I recommend using PirateShip.com. If you ship Priority Mail, they discount that surcharge that USPS is charging for the season. They also offer good prices on first class padded packaging (your own packaging). However first class I believe they do not discount the surcharge.

I have a buddy in the shipping business and even he says their company has a hard time to compete against PirateShip. 

I wish I had found pirate ship sooner. I started using it late in this past year and it has saved me a ton on shipping. Simple, easy to use website. I swear I dont work for them, I just love them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...